Why do some women gain 50, 60 or even 90 pounds during a singleton pregnancy?

I don't ask this to offend anyone. It just seems that there are so many people (big and skinny) not taking care of their bodies anyway and pregnancy is one of the most important times to do so.

I have talked to women who told me that they gained 50, 60 or even 90 pounds during a singleton pregnancy. Since for a women of normal weight the recommended is 25-30 pounds (a little more if your underweight and a little less if your over) and most health care professionals recommend staying on the lower side of that I don't understand why women are gaining so much.

It seems that our society has come up with a persona that it's okay to use pregnancy as a time to not eat healthy and to go overboard with eating when in reality for a "normal" weight women all she needs is an extra 300 calories a day. Your not literally eating for 2.

SO why is it that women are gaining so much? AGAIN THIS IS NOT MEANT AS A "BASHING" POST!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I gained 70 with my first. I lost 40 when I had her. After that I gained 30 lbs with my 2nd and 3rd, and under 20 with my last 2. I think women gain weight because they think they are eating for two. We hear it all the time and think it makes it ok to eat too much or more then normal. I see nothing wrong with it since you can lose the weight and once you have to women figure out they shouldnt eat for two with the second pregnancy.

Answer by gemgem at 11:19 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• They gain it because they believe they are entitled to 'eat all I want, after all I'm pregnant' or "It was the cravings" lets not even go to the 'eating for two BS. It is simply lack of control. They do far more damage to their bodies in the long run.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• For some, they take pregnancy to be a free for all. Eating for 2 does not mean eating like 2 lumberjacks. Personally, I gained 20 lbs with my first, and 87 lbs with my 2nd. The reason? Severe edema from pre-eclampsia. Not every woman gaining a massive amount of weight is doing it because of a total lack of control or concern over health needs.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I gained 50 because after 19 weeks of throwing up literally EVERYTHING I ate, it felt good to eat and keep it down. I think it's your choice to eat whatever makes you feel good. One day all I could keep down were Chocolate Cadburry Eggs, so that's all I ate. It's better than not eating anything, even my OB agreed. There was even a week that all I ate was baby cereal with lots of sugar. If I tried to eat anything like salad or eggs or anything not containing a ton of sugar I would just throw it up along with everything else I ate. (btw I lost 15 lbs in the beginning.)

Why are you worrying so much about what other women do while they're pregnant?
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had a friend with a health issue due to her pregnancy. And her body just didn't handle it very well so she gained about 90 lbs. with her first and it never went away. Then again her mom all the way up the family had the same problem and the weight never went away completely. NOT ALWAYS FROM EATING SO MUCH. That's just a stereotype.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I'm not "worrying" about it or trying to get into anyone else's business but I read an article recently that said the amount that women in America are gaining is astonding and that it is believed that women gaining so much during pregnancy could be linked with why there are so many over weight women in America.

America's health is really at a bad point and it's not just overweight people. Being skinny doesn't make you healthy. I think that as insurance premiums go up and health declines we ALL should be concerned about health in general and this is just one place to start.

AGAIN I'm not trying to bash anyone and I UNDERSTAND medical reasons completely!! I am just wondering women to women why it is like this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I've gained 40...But I started at 92lbs, so I still weigh less than alot of non pregnant women lol..
    I'm glad I gained a little extra, I've been trying since I was 13 to put on weight and this is the only thing that's worked!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Also I don't think the OP was trying to be offensive, just addressing a social problem.
    It's funny how touchy people are!
    Even when so many Americans, and children, are obese...
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i started out at 145
    when i got pregnant im due anyday
    and i am 192
    i eat healthy and everything
    my doc said that my baby is just gonna be a big baby
    everyone says they dont think iv gained that much weight because the only thing that has gonna bigger is my belly not my face or anything else
    the wait gain is wut they would like u to gain
    but u never know how big the baby will be and that plays a major part in how much u gain
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I gained 50, but 20 of it was within the last few weeks due to FLUID. So for the person saying that they gain weight because they "ate for two BS" or whatever maybe you should get your facts straight. I lost all the weight within a week and a half....most of it the next day. I don't even know why I bother coming on CM sometimes...it usually just puts me in a bad mood....=)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2009