What meals can a 6 year old get themselfs?

I have a 6 year old son and a 15 month old daughter. my daughter will sleep till 10 most weekends. my son is up bright and early unless its a school morning, go figure. What kinds of things shold i let him get himself? he will poke in with "can i have..." but i want to know should i make serving sized breakfast for him the night before? should i let him get his own? i hear alot of moms on here say they let them get food themselfs but where do u start and how can u make sure there not getting junk.

pam_natedog

Asked by pam_natedog at 11:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I always got up with my kids when they got up early because I never felt right letting them run around the house unattended unless I knew they were old enough to. When my kids were around 8 I started letting them fix their own PB&J sandwiches and Ham and Cheese when they got home from school. They could also heat something simple in the microwave like a hot pocket. But at 6? Anything you say he can have he will make a mess of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My grandmother used to sleep in when we slept over. She'd leave boxes of cereal on the table. Those were what we could choose from only. Then she'd put a little pitcher of milk on a low shelf in the fridge for us to use with the cereal. We never abused the system.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• At that age I used to leave a morning snack on a plate for them at the table. Usually yogurt raisens, a granola bar..something that is just enough to take the monring edge off so I could hopefully rest another 20 mins..LOL
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Oh and if you are worried he'll pour the whole box out you can get those little boxes or you can pour a smaller amount into a smaller plastic container like a tuperware or something. Have faith in your kids and give them a little independence. If doesn't work out what's the worst that could happen? I don't think it's a big deal. 6 isn't a baby. My 5 yo nephew could do this and be trusted for sure. It depends on the kid.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My dd is six, she can get her own cereal, toast, sandwich. she does not make a mess ad if she does she cleans it up herself. I have a few friends who do not let their kids get food on their own. One doesn't trust her son enough he lacks common sense, my other friends dd will eat an entire box of cereal.
    Anonymous

• My 5 year old makes himself cereal and oatmel for breakfast. Those are his two favorite foods so he's always happy with that.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I would teach him how to use the toaster and then he has options of toast, bagels, frozen waffles, etc. Or cereal and milk.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Keep plenty of fruit around, sliced cheese and meats, crackers, nuts, hard boiled eggs. Even cold pizza. :-) My kids find enough to keep them satisfied until we get up to eat a more formal breakfast.
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 2:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Magan is six she likes to 'cook' poptarts in the micro for 3-0 we say she like to make some for me ugh I hate poptarts! and bananas! bananas are great fillers!
    mamamom431

Answer by mamamom431 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Children love to be independent, but we have to set rules for them. I love to hear that you are doing this. Some moms put such tight reigns on their kids that they can't think for themselves. My son can make grilled cheese (2 pieces of bread and a slice of cheese), cereal, ham and cheese, pb&j, and warm up leftovers.
    Shellygirl77

Answer by Shellygirl77 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2009