How to you stop an 8 yr old boy from peeing the bed?

My stepson is 8, he'll be 9 in november. We have his drinking time stop at 6, he's in bed at 9 or 10. Sometimes i think he sneaks and drinks water while he's in the shower, or from the faucet. We make him use the bathroom before he goes to bed, and we wake him up at night. he still pees! We've tried buying the "diapers" to see if he would be too embarrased and would stop, we've done alarm clocks in his room to wake him up, nothing is working. I'm really tired of the smell, and having to wash sheets everyday!

yasabree

Asked by yasabree at 1:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Two things, first have him checked by a doctor, to make sure it is not a physical issue. Second, I'd recommend the book "Dry All Night" by Allison Mack It helped me as a child!
    Anonymous

• I would definately take him to the doctor! There could be something much worse going on with him than just peeing the bed. It could be something medically wrong, psycologically wrong, maybe he is being abused! Take him in and get him checked out!
    Strssdmom72

Answer by Strssdmom72 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My son is 8 and also has a bedwetting issue at night. After talking with his pediatrician, we've learned to not make a big deal out of it. Sometimes their bladders just haven't caught up with the rest of them. If your son is a heavy sleeper like my son is, then that just makes it worse. We bought him some of the Goodnights although there is a new brand out there called Underjams that looks more like underwear. You can get a free sample at www.underjams.com. The bigger deal you make out of it, the more stressed he will be and that stress will just cause more bedwetting. Talk to your pediatrician and go from there.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 2:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Girl I can't answer that because I am trying to stop a 11 year old from doing it....although I just learned of a nasal spray that you give to them before bedtime that stops bed wetting...Is he on medication for anything?
    PunkinLPN

Answer by PunkinLPN at 2:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• ok this is what hapened to my bro - my dad and bro drank a large glass of water before bed whan my dad woke to pee he would get my bro too. then drink another glass of water (both of them) and then when he woke again would get bro and pee - they did this all night for 2 weeks and he didnt we his bed again.
    *funny story - my bro was so excited that he wasnt wetting he would run to get dad to show him in the AM one of these mornings i was mischevious and went in to his room pulled down my panties and started peeing on his bed - just as my dad walked into the room*
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• For starters dont make him feel bad for it, i can pretty much guarantee that he is already embarrassed about it, its not something he can help. My hubby wet the bed until he started spending the night with me. My brother was 13 so was my aunt, and my grandfather did until he was 30. To help you teach him how to wash his own sheets and they make waterproof bed covers to help keep the smell out of the mattress.i have one if you'd like it.
    simplystephanie

Answer by simplystephanie at 2:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I agree with mommtoadam my son is 10 and still wets I know how aggervating it get=[ *HUGS*
    Anonymous

• My step son does it on perpose to make me mad. They also make a medication they take at night to make it impossible to "pee" at night
    Jenelle2508

Answer by Jenelle2508 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would take him to the doctor. If it is an everynight thing, there could be something wrong. I used to pee the bed when I was young, and I had a lot of bladder/kidney problems then.
    Anonymous