How can I get pregnant when I am still breastfeeding and plan on continuing? We want to have another baby and to have them close together.

Asked by antelope at 6:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would say just keep trying. There is a lower chance of conceiving while breastfeeding, but it can still happen. Every body is different and lots of women find they still ovulate even if AF hasn't returned.

Answer by jenjosfirst at 6:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I got pregnant when I was BF fully when my son was 7 months. I was on the mini pill so I quit taking it an got pregnant the first time we tried. Just make sure you do the deed, 3-4 day before ovulation and the whole time you think you are and then 3-4 days after...that is your best chance. Good Luck!!!

Answer by BoobiePrize at 6:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• First how old is your baby now? My sister-in-law got pregnant while breastfeeding pretty easy but her doctor told her to quit breastfeeding when she got to about 4 months because it was causing her uterus to contract too much. Her babies wound up being 15 months apart. Also take into account what your doctor says about your health. If you are a relatively healthy person it shouldn't be to big a problem. They sell ovulation kits now although they can be pretty costly. The Dollar Tree use to have some and they sell pretty accurate pregnancy tests too. I don't know if you have a Dollar Tree by you. But it's worth looking into.

Answer by Bebabydoll77 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Breast feeding does Not mean you can Not get pregnant. I nursed ALL of my kids and still got pregnant and had to wean one child so that the next one could nurse when they were born.

Answer by nana44 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I know a couple of friends who wanted to have their kids close together. Most of them said that as their first children nursed less, they were able to get pregnant. Two of them got pregnant right when they night weaned. Oh, and I know lots of friends who have tandem nursed their babies. Your body is really smart and will make milk for the new baby, but the older baby can still nurse.

Answer by NakylasMom at 7:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• if you're getting your period you can use an ovulation kit.

Answer by katiesmom123 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I started my period a month and half after having my daughter and I only brestfeed and I got pregnant in April when she was 4 months old but didn't know I was pregnant till June 13th now shes 6 months old. We weren't even trying to get pregnant then and we didn't have sex a week before my ovulation and wile ovulation and I got pregnant on a non ovulating day me and my husband are surprised at how soon I got pregnant we were planning to try to have another til our daugter was 3 years old. I would say that you should wait at lest a year before trying for another because this pregnancy I a so exausted from brestfeeding and being pregnant and my body aches so bad.

Answer by Fiammetta07Anma at 11:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Try basal body temping to see if your ovulating. If you are getting a period while breastfeeding, then it shouldn't be too hard to get pregnant. If not, I recommend that you cut out night time nursing sessions. I read that if you have at least a 6-8 hour stretch where you are not nursing or pumping, your chances of getting pregnant are higher.

Answer by amp83 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• The only time BF will really keep you from getting preggo is if you EXCLUSIVELY breastfeed, and the baby isn't on any other foods, like cereal and things like that. So, depending on how old your child is, then Yes, you can get preggo while breastfeeding.

Answer by yasabree at 9:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2008