Do you agree with Rendition?

Is it ok with you that Obama may continue to allow Rendition?
Despite ordering the closure of Guantanamo and an end to harsh interrogation techniques, the new president has failed to call an end to secret abductions and questioning. ... The practice caused outrage at the EU, after it was revealed the CIA had used secret prisons in Romania and Poland and airports such as Prestwick in Scotland to conduct up to 1,200 rendition flights. The European Parliament called renditions "an illegal instrument used by the United States".
According to a detailed reading of the executive orders signed by Mr Obama on Jan 22, renditions have not been outlawed, with the new administration deciding it needs to retain some devices in Mr Bush's anti-terror arsenal amid continued threats to US national security.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Rendition is the CIA's antiseptic term for its practice of sending captured terrorist suspects to other countries for interrogation. Because some of those countries torture prisoners -- and because some of the suspected terrorists "rendered" by the CIA say they were in fact tortured -- the debate has tended to lump rendition and torture together. The implication is that the CIA is sending people to Egypt, Jordan or other Middle Eastern countries because they can be tortured there and coerced into providing information they wouldn't give up otherwise.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18709-2005Mar8.html
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/4425135/Barack-Obama-to-allow-anti-terror-rendition-to-continue.html
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• While MANY liberal and the MSM scrutinized President Bush for the use of such tactics, why is it now ok for Obama? Clinton used it, but was not nearly as criticized. Is this a double standard of Policy?

I am personally for it.

But I am curious to read the opinions those on the other side of the political fence. And what makes it ok for one segment and not ok for the other? Opinions?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I couldn't care less. by the way isn't it hypocritical to complain about closing gitmo and also complain about this. you can't have it both ways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Exactly anon above me!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I am for rendition and I am for Gitmo being opened. I am curious why it was ok for MSM, Celebs, and liberal Politicians to scrutinze Rendition under the Bush Administration?

Do you think Obama will be scrutinized as well?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I didn't hear anything about rendition under bush
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Just another case of bringing up old news. This has always been a practice, people just didn't have any knowledge of it which is the way it should be. We don't need to know every little detail that takes place. If you did you would be the most paranoid person on earth.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I have always said that some things are best kept secret. Gitmo is actually something that I have being torn about. I never critized bush about rendition an dI won't critize obama either.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• The media will make Obama promoting Rendition and torture a GOOD THING. They love him. They hated Bush. Obama is the Golden Child in the eyes of the media and they follow him blindly. It's disgusting how one sided our media is. Grlygrlz, what I find interesting is that the article that you cite is from the UK. Just goes to show the in the US, they don't want to make mention of Obama and Bush having similarities

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2009