Dora the Explorer (observation)

My four-year-old daughter is a Dora the Explorer fanatic. We were watching a show where Dora was acting like a cowgirl, taking some cowboy cookies to Benny the Bull. Anyway, Dora and Boots had to cross the Rattlesnake Rocks. Whenever they heard a rattle, they had to notice that a snake was near and tell it to stop. When they said stop, the snake stopped, and they walked on by.

I'm not in the heart of rattlesnake country or anything, but there are a few around in the open fields and the ditches along the roads. And further south, they're everywhere. So I started wondering if it's really all that good to teach kids that if they see a snake, they just have to say stop, and the snake will freeze and let them pass in peace.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have found that to be true on alot of episodes. like diego also. I try to watch the shows with my dd. the otherday she did say to me that is only tv. so i think to really just ask and try to explain to your dd to see if she understands that its just pretend and its just tv. I think alot of the shows now a days is to be seen with the parents interaction also. that is my observation. you make a good point. let us know if they respond.
    libramoon007

Answer by libramoon007 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• Oh wow I live in az and we do have lots of snakes that would be a bad bad thing for my kids to think is how it works..........you make a great point
    supgrl87

Answer by supgrl87 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• very good point. If you live in snack country then all parents should teach children the proper way to act/do when they see a snake
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• I think you're right. The "Swiper" thing is one thing...how often is a child going to find a fox stealing something and have to intervene? But snakes in general can be dangerous...and are children of age to watch Dora going to be able to separate one from another?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• I'm toying with the idea of writing to Nickelodeon, but I don't know if anybody would listen to just one mom.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 4:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2012

• No you have to let her know what to do if she does come across one
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 3:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2012