need more info on this subject

My friend and his girlfriend are splitting up after 13 yrs. We live in wisconsin and she is suing for half the house property etc that he inherited but his lawyers tell him he is not entitled to anything of hers. This guy is losing everything. he doesn't even have a bed she gets it all. this makes no sense. I just want to help him out any ideas? thanks.

orbitlynn

Asked by orbitlynn at 11:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• Was there some kind of prenup involved? That's the only way I can think of that she can get half of everything but he can't get anything of hers.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I didn't think she could do that unless they were married.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It doesn't sound like this is even a marriage. It sounds like it's common law. I'd tell him to get a second opinion from another lawyer.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• anything he wants to keep, he needs to put in someone elses name until this is over
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Wisconsin doesn't even have common law. I am just trying to find a way to help this guy. she owns her own house etc that is where they have lived for 13 yrs.
    orbitlynn

Answer by orbitlynn at 11:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I am not sure if it is different in each state but im in KY and when I bought my house (with money that was mine before the marriage) my lawyer told me all I would have to do in the case of a divorce was to show where the money had came from and keep all of my paperwork. I did that and he said that would be all he needed if there was ever a divorce. It sounds to me like he needs a new lawyer. JMO. Good luck to him!
    Jonaresha

Answer by Jonaresha at 11:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Take him in, he needs to start fresh anyway let her have all she wants he needs to find that special someone once again and start fresh only for the time being. I hope things work out.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• This doesn't add up. If there is no common law there, and they were not married, how is she getting ANYTHING? None of that makes sense. Even if they have kids I don't think she can just take everything, or even half. 'Girlfriends' are not entitled to half of anything.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think he needs a new lawyer. They are even trying to make it so he has to pay her rent on his house while this is still in court. They never had children together or anything. I told him go after half her house half her harley etc and see if things change lol. I am not trying to be mean to her but come on this was a relationship between 2 adults each with their own assets and no children involved. she won't even let him have his dog. I understand hurt etc but there is no other woman involved or anything. Makes you start to wonder if she has been planning this
    orbitlynn

Answer by orbitlynn at 9:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2009