Tanning and Hair Dye

I will be 8 weeks pregnant this Friday, I was wondering if I am able to get my hair colored (blonde if itmakes a difference) and if&when i can tan...Getting married in May and would lvoe to be dark without using the Mystic Tan, but if I have to its not a big deal!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• tanning when pregnate is harmful to the baby-not sure about dying your hair though
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• no tanning and I was told no dying the hair either. something to do with the chemicals?
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Yes tanning while pregnant can be very harmful to your baby. As your doctor there may be tanning lotions that you can use. I have read in many books and online that say don't dye your hair until after your first trimester.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i researched it, tanning is not harmful, i does not use microwaves (the knock against it) it cant hurt the child... and dying your hair only poses a risk to fashion because when you get pregs you hair changes (don't ask me to explain that) but the regrowth after you get pregs might dye to a different color than the old hair.. tanning i would say be careful of heat . dont let your body get over 100 degrees faren. or you could cook brains... do the research yourself but i was surprised how misinformed many moms on this site are...

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Tanning is a no-no. Even the salon owners won't allow you to tan if they know you are pregnant. Dying your hair is only a no-go if you're in your first trimester. After that, it is fine. Just nothing with ammonia in it. THe ammonia is what's harmful.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my Doctor told me tanning is harmful, similar to that of a hot tub. it spikes your bodies temperature which in turn spikes your babies temp. I would go with a doctors advice before I would go with online research. Just because you can type a question in google and get an answer doesn't mean you are informed it just means you can...well...google. I would say it's not worth it. As far as hair dye goes, I am unsure. With both I'd ask your doctor, he/she knows best :)
    Anonymous

• My doc said it was fine to tan in moderation, which is like 2 or 3 times a week for like 5 to 10 mins. at a time. Also the hair dye thing is a myth, the only thing that might not work is that the color wont take, and if it does there is a chance that it will be the wrong color. my sisters hair turned green when she tried to dye it blonde while pregnant. I would talk to your doc about tanning and if you do decide to try and dye your hair do a test spot where no one will see it if it doesn't turn out right. Good luck!! =)
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009