my son is in 1st grade and cry cause he dont like his teache what sould I do

He panics to go to school he dont want to eat in the mornning and I just dont know what to do any more.. but I know he does like school cause he likes doing a lot of home work at home...

Virginia93458

Asked by Virginia93458 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would ask him why he doesn't like his teacher and if possible and it is bothering him that bad talk to the principle and see if he can be switched to a different one.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• he dont like his teacher ????
    if thats the case maybe find out why and have a conference with the teacher and him or maybe the principal and try and figure out what you can do to get him to like her
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• If there is no problem with the teacher, or anyone else, he is probably doing it for attention. I would tell him that you won't always like your teacher, but you have to respect them. Just like when you are older, you won't always like your boss, but you have to respect them. This is a great lesson in raising an adult.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 12:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Go to the school as soon as possible and meet with the principal and teacher. Get a feel for what the classroom is like. Figure out what the teacher is doing and correct it or switch teachers. He sounds smart ... if he enjoys schoolwork don't let that get taken away from him. If school is unbearable he may fall through the cracks and miss out on opportunities - no matter how smart he is. I dropped out because I hated school, not because I hated the work. My hatred for school started with my 3rd grade teacher and ended up with me skipping school through middle and high school.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• ....BTW, when you talk to teacher, don't automatically assume that the teacher is right. She / he may say your son is a disciplinary problem...this may be the case, but she / he may also just be covering their ass too. My teacher didn't like my family because of our religion and because we were poor. She would send me to detention or make me put my head down on my desk whenever there was an activity that I wasn't allowed to participate in. She allowed other kids to tease and torment me. Nobody ever thought to help me - even though I complained - wouldn't eat breakfast - just like your son. As a result I never lived up to my potential. It is good that you are trying to do something. Good luck.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• volunteer in his classroom so he can see you and the teacher as a team. If he is just overwhelmed and the teacher is good, you guys can work this out easily and he will know he can't play you two against each other. It worked for me! First grade was a rough transition for my oldest.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 12:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• pattigioeli I totally disagree with you. She is not raising an adult with adult problems. She has a little boy in 1st grade who is having some problems. Big difference. I agree on teaching lessons but not like that.

I would really listen to your son. Write down everything he says for a few days. CAll the school and make an appt. with his teacher and counselor. Have a notebook with questions for the teacher. Do not leave until you are comfortable and there is a plan of action on how you can as a team help your son.

Reassure him daily. Work with him on dealing with this problem. Dont just pat him and say dont cry. Work on how to make this easier on your son.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2009