how long will alcohol affect my breastmilk?

ive been craving an alcoholic beverage ever since getting pregnant and now that im not pregnant, i still cant drink because im breastfeeding haha....i was just wondering if anyone knows if i do have a drink, then how long should i wait to feed the baby and should i pump or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It remains in your milk as long as it remains in your blood. 1-2 drinks? I'd say safe to nurse. Any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. No need to pump and dump, it's just extra work and a waste of milk. Only time will rid the milk of alcohol.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• If you are sober enough to drive, then you are ok to breastfeed. I asked my doctor about that one, bc I sooooo was wanting a beer lol!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• The only reason to pump and dump would be to keep your supply up. You wouldnt need to do it to get the alcohol out of your system.

As long as you can no longer feel the effects of the alcohol you should be ok. If you are still nervous, they do make little test strips that you can get at Babies R Us to determine if any alcohol is in your milk.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 12:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• You've already received great answers...

I would just like to add that I've read a lot of articles and reviews about those test strips, and came to the conclusion that they're worthless..

Time is key.

Enjoy yourself responsibly!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2009