Should my 3 year old be in the delivery room?

My daughter will be 3 1/2 in July and thats when im due to have our baby. Some people say its good to have your kids in the room and some say NO NO NO! I really dont know yet but i was wondering what you others think about this and if you would or if you have done this?!

THANKS!

BallardMomma

Asked by BallardMomma at 12:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• YES! My three year old nephew was there when my daughter was born. My 16 month old will be there when her sister is born. I was there when my niece was born (I was 7) Then again, hospital births can be traumatizing. Mine is at home. Use your judgment. There are several birthing videos you can rent that help your LO get ready. (they are almost all homebirths though) Just talk to her about it. Tell her the truth. Tell her mommy may be loud and maybe even cry or scream and there will be blood, but this is how babies are born. Tell her the truth, not "the stork bring the baby" crap. I think she will be fine, she just needs a little practice on whats going to be going on.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I say no. I have 5 and theres just so much that can go wrong or just scare them at that age.

Answer by gemgem at 12:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't just an uncomfortable situation and all the questions that would follow... don't know if i'd be ok answering those at 4y/o.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 12:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Yeah I would have to say no also on this. I don't think they need to see all that happens when you give birth. Like the person above me said there are possibilities of things going wrong and that could scare your little one.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 12:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I'd say no way. Can you imagine how scary that could be?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• well my oldest d was 5 when i had my second baby and no way would i put her in the room with me .you dont know how long it could take you dont know what her reaction will be and you dont know what mite happen .and i am sure she will not do good if you are in pain .my dd would have been very upset if she seen me in pain .and if you take her in the room it mite make her ask alot of questions about babies and things like that .i would just bring her in right after you have the baby
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Three is a little young to witness all that goes on in a delivery room. Our daughter was 6 when our son was born and I wanted her in the delivery room. I asked around because I wanted to get a good unbiased opinion and most people even most professionals in that field said things can get a bit intense and it's just not a good idea for children that young to be subject to that. They just are not able to understand that even though it's a difficult thing going on, that it's a happy thing. It can really scare them.

When my daughter was 21 and my son was 14, they were in the delivery room for the birth of their baby brother and even at that age, they found it to be a bit unnerving to see me in such distress and all. They were was fine, but they did say it was hard on them to watch me go through everything.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think so. My son will be 2 when my baby is due and he will be right there as well as my other kids. That was always the plan! All of my children know from early on what birth is and it doesn't scare them.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2009