I have a nursing dilemma i have to be gone all day saturday no clue how much milk i'll need to leave for a 6 month old?

My son has been exclusively breast fed only fed from a bottle maybe three times and i have to go on a day long trip 7 am til 11 at night i might be able to give him his morning feeding before i leave but i'm not sure since i never feed him from bottles how much milk to express and leave with him, he is starting now to eat a little cereal and baby food but whats a safe amount of milk to leave?

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• leave MORE than you think he will need and yes you better get pumping big time. I would say 4oz for every feeding plus maybe an extra 6-8oz just in case. He will be upset without you there and might want to drink more than usual to soothe himself. The first time I left my first baby alone for more than an hour or two I left probably like 24oz and we were only gone for about 10hrs but by the time I came back she was out of milk and FURIOUS and hungry... i never left her with my in-laws again until she was old for regular food lol :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• You had better start pumping if you are leaving Saturday. It will up your production and u will need to pump on ur trip. Leave 2 to 4 oz for every feeding he has. Start counting how many times he nurses.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• i believe the "rule" is 1.5 ounces for every hour you will be gone. so 16 hours x 1.5 = 24 ounces - minimum. there is a chance he will drink very little (some babies will "strike" while mom is gone, but at the same time he could go crazy and drink every drop you leave and want more.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 2:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• How much milk did he have last Saturday? You will need that much plus one extra.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• thanks i maybe have 8 ounces so far pumped
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• I am going to try and nurse him around 7 or 7:30 then usually he is good for a few hours so hopefully he'll have 3-4 feedings im hoping i can leave 30 ounces but my pump really isn't that good
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour, not 1.5 ounces.

Are you bringing a pump with you? Because you will be hurting if you don't stop to pump.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2012