Orthodontics

I took my DDs for an orthodontic evaluation the are 12 & 11. The dr said the aren't ready for braces because the 12 year molars haven't erupted yet. They have no crowding issues, just a slight overbite and crooked teeth.

Their dentist has mentioned getting them started several times already.

My DS. is also 12 and has had braces for just under a 1 1/2 from a different orthodontist. He had one tooth that couldn't come down because adult teeth were blocking it. They made room for it and we've been waiting for the tooth to fully come in. I feel like he's been in braces this whole time and we are waiting, and paying until his teeth are all in before we can really start straughting his teeth.

Did your kids start braces before or after all their adult teeth, including 12 year molars were in?

I understand expanders and crowding need to be done earlier.

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2012 in Health

• My dentist told me to wait until my kids molars were in. I had a wire in my mouth when I was 8-9 before my molars were in and I could get braces on. I think it depends on what problems you are trying to correct using braces as far as when you can put them on. My parents took me to 4 different orthodontists for opinions on what to do with my teeth (my parents didn't want any of my teeth pulled), they got 4 different opinions on what should be done.

Answer by missanc at 3:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• My son had all his adult teeth when we started. He had a year on the palatal expander, then 4 yrs of braces & rubber bands! After all that they wanted to break the poor kids jaw to get things lined up. Yeah, I told them that wasn't happening! The kids been thru enough. We had a big old gathering of the rubber band packets & proudly pitched them & haven't looked back! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2012