Do you think an infant needs to be in daycare full time?

if, that is, the parents/guardians aren't working full time or in school. i know, somehow, that having a negative opinion about this is 'judgmental' but regardless- what are your thoughts?

i work in childcare, with infants, and one of our infants is always there even though mom is available at a moment's notice whenever he gets a fever and has to go home. she shows up in sweats and a big t-shirt. her ass wasn't at work. not to mention, when she went out of town for a week, she drove her sister up here and rather than have her sister watch the baby, she just had the sister drop off and pick him up from daycare.

i just don't get it... infants do not NEED to be in daycare in my opinion, if there is another option. i fully understand if work/school is a must and the baby has to go of course. but why would you have a baby just to turn around and throw it in daycare for 10 hours a day when you don't have any other responsibilities?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• my first thought was Mary, this gal who booth-rented at the same salon...such a sloppy dresser, everyday, but had all the clients she wanted and they were established (her's, not walk-ins). like me, she made her own appts and could leave whenever she wanted, or needed to. ( i know when daycare called me a few dozen times, i dropped it all and ran.)...just sayin', you don't know anyone's reality except your own.
    jmho.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• I agree with you completely. What sucks is in my state if you are getting a daycare subsidy you child has to attend 5 days a week and you can not miss more than a day here and there to keep your assistance. so even if you take a week off you have to pay the daycare just like you came or you have to bring them. It is to prevent system abuse but I really hate the way it is set up. I am so glad we did not need to use it long! I only worked 4 days a week and I had to take them all 5. I felt so bad dropping them off on my day off. I would only leave them there a few hours though.
    Anonymous

• Do you know what her job is? Maybe she works at home and doesn't need to dress up, but finds it easier to work without having to care for the baby at the same time. I know if I was working from home as a customer service rep, or doing transcription or something like that, I'd put my kids in daycare while I worked because they'd be too loud for me to work.

But to answer the original question, I don't think they NEED to be in daycare, no. But I think it's up to the parents to determine what they feel is best for their child and for them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• I agree with Dull. When I am not traveling i work from home so you never know.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• I personally think that an infant should not be in daycare if it's not necessary. Especially since they are exposed to so many illnesses in day care. And, with both of my children, I either did not work or worked at home so, they would not have to be in day care.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• Nope, I think if the parent is able (and some aren't due to work, or school, etc) that the best place for the child is with the parent. I cannot imagine paying for daycare when I stay home all day.

Now, there are times that you need the help of a daycare. For example, I am a stay at home mom but I also run a business out of my home. 90% of the time those two things are compatible. But on rare occasion, they are not. On those days, I do drop off the kids so that I can accomplish the things that need to be done. However, this option is a last resort for me. I am blessed to live very close to my parents. And they are always my first choice to watch the kids if I need help. Not everyone is that lucky though.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 8:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• Maybe she works at home and doesn't need to dress up, but finds it easier to work without having to care for the baby at the same time

with working at home, is that a full time thing? just curious. 10 hours a day 5 days a week?

tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• id also like to reiterate something i wrote several times but seems to be lost anyhow

i fully understand if work/school is a must and the baby has to go of course

tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• yes, some at home jobs are just like an outside-the-home job - however many hours a day and days a week that they are being paid for.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 8:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• also @anon, i think we have that same type of program in my state also, where the child must attend a certain number of hours per week to keep the voucher. i don't know if it applies to infants though.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2012