First Ultrasound

I have my first ultrasound Thursday, and I will be 7 weeks 6 days Pregnant (according to MY calculations, but I could be totally off) But I was just wondering what all goes on during the first appointment/ultrasound. My DH will be with me and I don't want us both to be completely clueless!!!

StacyDeAnn

Asked by StacyDeAnn at 12:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You'll have the ultrasound. If you haven't had a pap smear recently, they'll do that. They'll tell you what to watch for or be concerned about. They'll also do bloodwork and a urine sample. Good luck, and congrats.
    Anonymous

• Usually they do an internal ultrasound. They actually stick a wand like thing inside you. Sorry if TMI. You need to have an empty bladder for that. You should be able to hear the baby's heartbeat and also find out if it is one or more. They may do a routine exam once you are in your doctors office. Oh sometimes the doctors like to go int their office and talk about your health history also.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 12:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• they will do a vaginal exam to test for infections and do a pap smear along with a pelvic exam not to comfy. Along with a ultrasound. they will do blood work, and have you pee in a cup. Good luck and congrats.
    Anonymous

• i had a pap, bloodwork, urine sample, and then they brought in the small US they use in the delivery room. DH was there, my OB made sure he was comfy before proceeding with the pap, etc. I told DH to watch because he didn't believe me when I told him about what really happens during a pap!
    Anonymous

• its not bad....urine sample, lots and lots of questions with family history and health, full exam, blood pressure adn weight, usually they will do a vaginal sonogram to see the baby. Might try to do ultrasound, but probably wont be able to hear the heartbeat yet and they will tell you your due date and they may send you for blood work(though I never did)
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 12:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2009