Your moment of clarity.

Whatever that may concern in your life. I wanna hear about your moment of clarity and how it changed you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The longer I live I realize that we have many "moments of clarity". Some of these moments are more life altering that others.

My most profound moment of clarity to date was the moment I realized that my (ex)husband was raging and physically abusing me on purpose. He could control his temper outside of the home, therefore, he CHOSE to be abusive at home. I realized that he was only good (enough) and remorseful at home when he felt threatened that I might leave. I realized that everything he did was calculated to keep his prey (me) in his cage. When I finally realized this, I made the decision to save my life.
    Anonymous

• When I first started teaching older people I was hired to teach in nursing homes as well as senior centers. After a year I realized that teaching in nursing homes, I was grieving all the time. It was causing me too much stress, so I sadly resigned from that job. I am happy now teaching in the senior centers.

Answer by Bmat at 12:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My moment of clarity was when my father passed away.. I finally realized that I have to live for myself, my Mom had passed previous to him in 2000 and then my father in 05. I have to say something good can come from something bad....
    Anonymous

• When I realized I had to leave CA because my jerk boyfriend was no good and would be a terrible father. I realized that I wanted children and we was far too critical to raise a child. Then again when I first laid eyes on my husband. I knew immediately that we were meant to be. It took him longer to realize it, but he's never been as intuitive as I am.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I was living on the streets, Staying in cars if i could, Waking up high and going to bed in oblivion. Stealing from loved ones, strangers, places of business. Any money i got would go to drugs and if i had some left over than the rest would go towards cigarettes. Never worried about food or anything.

During all of this my mom was struggling with breast cancer and i wouldnt even go to see her, unless i was planning on stealing money or something.

I would say my moment of clarity was one night when i stole my moms cancer medicine to get high off of.... that was it for me... my life was out of control as well as my addiction.

So, needless to say, Today i have almost two years clean, I dont drink or do anything, I live in my own apartment, paying my own bills with my SO, and im expecting a little girl in april....My mom lost her battle to cancer nov. 2007....I was able to show up and be there for her.
    Anonymous

• Oh God Anon 1:02! I am so sorry! Loosing your mother must have been tough. I am sure she is looking down and watching you proudly. It is hard to come back from where you have been and not a lot of people manage. Congrats on winning the battle back to reality. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Thank you beckcorc... im actually the one who posted it.... i prob shouldnt have posted it ANON bc i shouldnt be ashamed of my past, it made me who i am today...
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• When I realized I could not cure my sons autism. I can help him make his life better, but I can't cure him. After I came to that realization it was much easier for me to find ways to get him help so he could live a more normal life.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 1:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• There a couple but the most recent one was when my 21 year old cousin passed away leaving behind her husband and a 5 month old daughter. She had her whole life ahead of her, her husband was in the Navy and I'm sure she had so many plans. Then in one second, it was all over. I always knew time isn't forever but it's stuff like that that drives it home. It reminded me not to take any of my family for granted because I never know when will be the last time i'll see them. Her one year anniversary is coming up in April and it still feels like it only happened a couple days ago.
    Anonymous