Helping the mentally handicapped to know God

I know the word in the title of the book is not PC in this day and age but it's the topic of the book I'd like to open for debate...

Can the mentally handicapped really understand what you're telling them about god? Is trying to convert them wrong if they can't fully understand what's going on? And any other questions you'd like toss in here regarding the topic.

http://www.amazon.com/Helping-retarded-know-God-handicapped/dp/B0006CAG4M

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2012 in Religious Debate

• ......honestly
    I don't think 'helping' a mentally handicapped person to know god is a good idea. My son is autistic and is convinced that the world is just here.. no deities, etc.
    I believe in many gods.. but would not dream of confusing him or 'helping' him to it my way.. i find it disingenuous
    Sekirei

Answer by Sekirei at 10:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• I think they know God better than we do.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Our synagogue has a joint program with several other synagogues for a "special ed" type of religious school. You can only give them the information and hope that it settles in. You'd be surprised how much they absorb. You can't push and force religion on them it just has to come naturally. By repetition religious behavior will sink in. Whether they truly understand it like you and I is another story. But they might just understand some of it at their level.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Interesting. Judaism is practice-centered, not faith centered. Most Christianity is belief-focused. I see a big difference between teaching practices and teaching beliefs.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Most do not need help, they are closer to spirituality than any of the rest of us
    Starburst72

Answer by Starburst72 at 7:04 AM on Jul. 17, 2012

• growing up, when it came to special needs kids i was always told if they arent of the "age of understanding" mentally than they would go to heaven, kinda like babies & children do.

i find it slightly comforting that the picture of that pamphlet is old...not that it doesnt mean it isnt still used/published.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• I don't see a problem with it at all. We keep hearing about letting kids learn about all different religions. Maybe people who don't believe in God can go tell these kids that it is foolish and primitive to believe in God. I disagree that religion is based on fear and control. My ex-boyfriend (before my husband) was an atheist, and he believed that we just cease to exist when we die. I have heard more than a few atheists admit that they have some fear of dying. Why should that peace be denied to these kids?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 6:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• "However, I do love the perspectives presented by Sharon and layh41407"

Thanks! I was actually surprised so many people disagreed with the idea that the mentally disable may have a clearer picture than the rest of us (seeing the DVs). But I guess some people prefer to see them as inferior beings because they cannot do what we can instead of seeing them as purer soul that don't need to do that anymore.
    *shrug*. Sad...

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• My son (now 14) has autism. He's on about a 1st-2nd grade level, but he goes into his 8th grade sunday school class and sits through church with me. My obligation as a parent is to expose him to my beliefs, to teach him about God - but the rest is up to God.

Answer by missanc at 8:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• We teach these children how to function in society, good behaviour, eating right, how to get on a bus, why would we leave this out. We don't know how much they understand when we teach them to eat their dinner before their dessert but we still teach them this and are complimented fot integrating them on all levels of life as is appropriate for them.
    candbtea

Answer by candbtea at 11:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2012