Broke and depressed

So obviously at 9.25 an hour and 40 hours a week it's not going to bring much money in at all,but I'm the only one working and schools fast aproaching, have four kids that need school clothes,shoes,and all the stuff that goes with it,plus the school fees. I'm getting more pissed as the months go on and still the husband hasn't brought any money in. I just paid my gas bill,car payment,insurance,gas for the week,and the cell phones I have squat left. This means it's time to crack the whip on myself and get my unlearned ass to school start doing packets so I can work towards a GED and get to college or something. I don't want to be a woman burdened by a low paying job and pushing a mop around anymore. I caved and applied for food stamps,so that means I'm at the bottom of the totem pole,and I feel like I'm scum. I literally feel embarrasses that I can't feed my family on my own. I should've done something years ago when I was young before kids now I will have to do it all with kids to support and working my butt off.
I wish I didn't have car payments but I do,you know I had a car before but it leaked oil like a sieve,and I begged my husband to fix it but he wouldn't,cause the engine was a sideways engine and it would be out of his league. BS he just was too lazy!! Now I'm stuck paying $170 every two weeks till next August. I don't think I could dig a hole any deeper than what I've already got.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2012 in Money & Work

• Why isn't dh contributing? Why isn't he working?
    Getting food stamps does not make us scum or at the bottom of the pole.
    Millions of hardworking americans are struggling to provide for their familes.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2012

• I would be bokre and pissed off becasue Hubby isn't doing anythign to help.

9.25 an hour at 40 hours a week is pretty crappy pay, but you said you don't have a diploma so it's actually pretty good for not completeing high school and the fact you are looking at options to go back to school is fabulous.
    Food stamps are there FOR situations like yours. You're not scum because you're in a position where you need to use them and from the sound of it you don't plan on using them if you don't have to and right now you just have to. (and let's face it in this economy more people than not are having to rely on food stamps)
    If you look into your local community/women's shelters etc. many have programs/charities that help with back to school costs by providing supplies and often even clothes/shoes/etc for childen of low-income familes. Also go to their school/district office and apply for the lunch programs.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Sounds to me like you've got one too many mouths to feed. He's supposed to be your PARTNER in marriage, not a dependent. You're doing it all on your own anyway. I'd lose the dead weight. You'll be better off!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Don't blame yourself for all of this. Remember the country's economy isn't that good. Even college grads can't find jobs. I'm not trying to discourage you from going to college. I like that you are making plans to better your situation; however, for now food stamps are not that bad. You use a debit card so no one knows like the old time food stamp coupons. It's just a temporary situation until things get better. It will help make it easier when you pay bills. Money you now pay for food can go toward school fees and supplies. If it were me I'd sign up for free supplies and see if there was a waiver for the school fees but that's just me. It will get better but yes it would be nice if he helped

Answer by admckenzie at 12:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Hang in there mama!!!! It will get better. Do not feel bad about the food stamps...that is what they are for. Your DH needs to get off his butt and get a job!! I agree with the above posts, go sign up for the free programs for school supplies etc...You are in my prayers!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• It is a tough go for everyone. DH needs to step it up though, as you note. Best he doesn't work on the car if he doesn't have experience with it.

Why doesn't he put on big man pants and support his family?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Why is your husband not working?

Do not be ashamed that you applied for food stamps. Many people are working and coming up short on money and have to do this to supplement the little they have left after paying bills.

For back to school supplies check around your area, there are alot of organizations that give supplies, even some will give gift cards to shop for clothes. Since you are getting food stamps you should be eligible forschool supplies and since your husband is not working why does he need a cell phone. You can try for a program where you get a free cell phone, most people on public assistance are eligible for this cell phone.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Work from home! No cost to join; This is a 100% work at home job. No experience needed. Set your own hours. No telemarketing or phones. No more daycare or transportation costs! To find out how to join for free; you can fill out the contact form on my page and info will be e-mailed to you. You will not get spam; this is legit. We work with fortune 500 companies. You can choose to be paid daily or weekly. Training provided. I earn $200-$300 per day on average. I work very pt hours. 
     I have a website with the full information; please visit:http://instantmoneynetwork.com/XOXOArmyWife
    Love2workathome

Answer by Love2workathome at 6:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2012

• First let me tell you that this is a work from home position. It does NOT involve sales of any kind and is NOT MLM.

As a Marketing Executive for an International Wellness Company, your responsibilities will include placing ads, setting appointments and creating customer accounts. You can do this full or part time and you can start immediately.

If this sounds like something you want to pursue, please let me know. We have informational calls every evening that provide in depth details and you can sign up immediately following the presentation.

Please PM me here on CM of email me at taluke1970@gmail.com for more details.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

~trully
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 1:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2012