Boys Rescue Drowning Toddler Who Was Swept Into Canal

A group of four boys ranging in age from 8-17 was hanging out by a canal behind their California home looking for fish earlier this week. Then they saw something a little bigger in the fast-moving water. They thought it was a doll.

Instead it was a 3-year-old girl, Alice Falk. She'd somehow managed to wander away from her home and fall into the canal. She had floated for about a half mile while her family was frantically searching for her. According to the Visalia Times-Delta, she was unconscious and not breathing when they jumped in to save her.

Hogan, 17, Victor Vasquez Jr., 12, George Castillo, 13, and Robert Vasquez, 8, were able to get her out, but she wasn't in good shape. Gilbert told the Fresno Bee: "She was unconscious. She was pale and purple. I thought, 'This girl is going to die.' "

Then they ran to get help from one of their fathers, Victor Vasquez. He was able to give her CPR. “It was just instinct,” he told the paper. “At that moment, I forgot everything. I was in shock. I have never experienced anything like that.”

But  it worked. The girl responded, and shortly thereafter an ambulance arrived. She's expected to make a full recovery. It's an amazing story of luck, heroic action by these boys, and ultimately a happy ending. It could have just as easily ended in tragedy.

Sadly, however, some in the town weren't content with that, instead they went and attacked the mother of the girl for letting her girl wander away. Farmersville Police Chief Mario Krstic said they were trying to get "maybe a little street justice," which is so very wrong.

Police say it was just an unfortunate accident, and people should leave it at that. I'm sure this mother is punishing herself more than anyone else ever could.

As for the boys, the town may officially recognize them as heroes. In any case, they certainly have a wonderful topic for those "What I did on my summer vacation" pieces when they return to school.

http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.aspx?aid=222016

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Man, this brought tears to my eyes, in a good way. Those boys are amazing! I am so glad they got to her in time and the dad was able to perform CPR. Happy endings is always good.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Stories like this with happy endings bring tears to my eyes. Everybody wins in this one.

Those townspeople who attacked the mother must be members of The Perfect Parenting group. NONE OF US raise our children without an error, no one does. We all make mistakes, none of us are perfect.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2012

• It's so awesome to hear there are such wonderful people in this world we live in today. If i was the mom of that little girl i would be extremely greatful to those boys.
    megclark22

Answer by megclark22 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Well, until the part about the mom getting attacked, I loved the story. (The mother was probably beating herself up as it was- so those idiots were out of line!) I'm glad the boys' quick actions & the man's CPR skills helped the story have a great outcome. They will never forgot that day! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• It is wonderful to hear about the good thing young people do. We hear so much bad.
    As for mom. A good many parents have had the experience of a child wondering off. In the old days little ones would be penned or more likely tied t stake or tree. Now, that is child abuse.
    Children wander off in stores all the time.
    She has had a terrible scare and to me that is more tan enough.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Wonderful story.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2012