Why do most gay men "sound" gay?

yes, i'm dead serious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I have a friend that is gay and would never have known had he NOT told me. He's every bit as masculine as any guy I know. Then on the other hand, there are also men that some somewhat feminine who are married with children. I'm not buying into it....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• well, i said most not all. and i don't hang around any gay people so perhaps i am biased by the media in general. but the gays i do see on TV etc sound gay. even the "True Life" and reality based shows.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• "Most" still seems like a large percentage- "Some" may have been a better choice.
    In regards to the media (TV shows) what you're seeing are caricatures of the Gay Male and Gay Culture.
    You aren't seeing anymore a reality than "House of Payne" is a true representation of Black Culture.
    If you have cable I would recommend Logo channel for a more honest portrayal.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• I never knew gay had a sound. And anyway, I agree with m-avi. Besides, the media is going to choose those that fit the perceived stereotype. Reality tv is anything but real.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• if you dont hang around gay ppl then you dont know what you're talking about. very rarely do i watch anything on TV and think "wow he sounds gay". maybe you're idea of "gay sounding" is skewed b/c all the gay men i've known over the years talk like normal men, except one. take a look at the actual gay men on TV, like Neil Patrick Harris or Anderson Cooper...they do not "sound gay".

TV is not real life.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• TV is not real life. -

WHAT?!?! lol.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• I have a number of gay friends and none of them behave or speak like the gays on TV. They don't have limp wrists either. Nor do they mince when they walk.

On TV, they make them the stereotype gay so that everyone (even the not so bright ones) will understand that they're gay straight away ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• every gay man i have known do sound feminine. Perhaps, that was the role in the relationship? maybe they were raised by women, idk
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Perhaps, that was the role in the relationship?
    Ummm- what? That's a joke right? Kind of like two gay men get married, which one wears the dress?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• thank you shay, at least you acknowledge what i'm talking about

and for those saying TV isn't real life i said TRUE LIFE (as in REALITY) tv shows such as are on MTV etc
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2012