• In the Spotlight:

my question is how do i help my son with his speech problems, he is a very nice boy. it is hard for him to make friends, kids like him intill he strat talking. Please Help

I need help with my son speech, some times it is hard to understand him, their is this camp i want him to go to in big bay, mi. he does not want to go, how do i get him to go so he can get help with his speech. he tries to make friends and they like him intill he strat talking and they back away. my in laws are made at me because they want to know how kind i send my son to a camp that i do not know any thing about. Please help

pineapplemom264

Asked by pineapplemom264 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• You should call his school and have him put in speech therapy. Theyll work with him all year long. My son has speech issues and he goes to speech at his school.

Answer by gemgem at 1:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Can I ask why you are just waiting until now to do something about it? Get him to a good therapist and help him out.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• He needs to be in speech therapy. Call the school and have him evaluated ASAP...communication delays can lead to all sorts of problems with children. My son is 5 and has been receiving therapy since he was 3. It's helped a ton.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I am in college to be a teacher. My teachers have suggested a few things in cases like yours. First modeling. Read a passage to him. Then give him a tool called a whisper phone and have him read it back to you. A whisper phone is made out of a small peice of PVC pie and 2 elbow joints. Its looks like a phone, but it makes it possible for him to hear himself talking. have him read and he will try to mimic how you read.
    I hope this was helpful.
    Shellygirl77

Answer by Shellygirl77 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2009