how should i introduce milk to my baby? and what about soy?

my son is about to turn 1 year old and i know its time to start giving him milk. i need advise on how to introduce him to it though. also, i am concerned about all the growth hormone and other stuff thats in cows milk. i dont mind if he has dairy, but if its safe to give him soy instead of cows milk i would rather do that, im just wondering if maybe that would make him lactose intolerant? anybody know? thanks!

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 1:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i just put whole milk into my sons cup and gave it to him. if he doesnt seem to want it at first...try putting karo syrup or ovaltine into the milk.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• If your beastfeeding, there is no reason to switch to cows/soy milk. Just offer a sippy with milk in it everyday. (DO NOT NEED to replace a feeding) If you are formula feeding, I would just start replacing a feeding with regular milk every few days. Yes, avoiding dairy can cause lactose intolerance. I used to drink alot of dairy then one day, I stopped. I quite drinking milk for like 6 months, then, I went to have a glass of milk and got terribly sick. My doctor said when you depribe the body of something then introduce it agian, it may cause you to reject it. This won't happen in every case, just letting you know it can happen. Goats milk is a good option if you want something with less lactose in it. Goats milk is the closest to human milk (even closer than formula!!!) and very healthy. I would also possibly start giving a dialy vitimin or drops if your son isn't eating a wide veriety of well balanced meals.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Talk to your doctor first if you want to introduce soy products. Some kids are allergic to soy. There are companies that don't give their cows hormones or antibiotics - you can usually find it in the organic section. As far as introducing it...just try putting some in a sippy cup and give it to him with a meal. If he doesn't like it, you can try mixing some breast milk/formula (whichever you use) with some cow's milk, and gradually increase the amount of cow's milk over a couple of weeks.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Ok, found your other question. We use Horizon's organic milk, but not as an actual drink. She really likes it in cereal etc, and occasionally drinks it. It has no hormones, antibiotics etc.

Milk is not needed though, as a drink. Instead you can offer water and wean off formula slowly.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• if you are that concerned about the hormones, you can buy organic milk. that is what i plan on doing.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 2:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2009