What can I do to make him stop?

I have a 10 1/2 month old who, when he is told 'NO', hits the person speaking to him. Also, when he gets mad or frustrated, he bangs his head and/or mouth on the floor, chair, knee/leg of parent, or coffee table. What can I do to make him stop???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• well the banging his head is normal for most kids. my son did that. as for the hitting, i know most parents are against it, but i'd hit him back. my son bit me once, i popped him in the mouth and he never bit me again.
    Anonymous

• When he starts to swing at you grab his arm NOT HARD, just grab it and say in a firm voice "No hitting Mommy (or whoever)." Then walk away. Make sure he listens to the no, but other than that, ignore him. Also, try using words other than no. Stop, wait, not for your hands, owie owie (for something that will hurt them), hot or words like that work very well and then he does not hear no all day. I would also babyproof as much as possible. Avoiding no is not the same as letting him run the house. As for the head banging, he won't do it after he hurts himself a time or two. Just make sure he is not doing it on a marble or concrete floor. You don't want a concussion, just natural consequences.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I hold my son's arm for a minute or so down by his side if I can,so that he's unable to use it.And say "No Hitting!Not nice.Ouchy".It's important to say the same thing every time using small words so they understand.Think of it like training a dog.You wouldn't say Checkers, I don't appreciate you being on the sofa.You say Checkers.. off.Same idea.Holding their arm makes it very apparent what it is that you don't like,and there's an immediate consequence to hitting (no use of arm).Hitting them back at a young age doesn't work.They emulate you..Mom hits..so I hit.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 3:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Mine also beats his head on things, and honestly I let him.I figure he's only hurting himself,it's a form of temper tantrum.If he's really in danger of injury then I stop it.But I figure he'll get it eventually.Try walking away,leave the room,I've found that my son stops instantly when he doesn't get attention for it.The only time I really step in is when he's doing to a table that has a sharp corner, or he continuously does and refuses to stop (which isn't often), or for instance when my husband leaves for work, and he is genuinely upset. That is not the baby's fault, and he feels abandoned, so then i step in. But if it's because he did not get what he wants.. sorry charlie. That's the way the cookie crumbles. I have used the "bite them back" technique though.. and honestly that one worked for me. He hasn't bitten me since.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 3:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2009