Does anyone here in the US have to pay a "street light tax?"

Flints emergency financial manager decided the city's residents had to pay a street light tax. And its $74!! Many of the cities resident can barely pay their electricity bill! Much less pay the cities electric bill. The water bill price went up to from $49 to $110! So what is it like in the city you live in? BTW, we also pay summer tax and winter tax also.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Don't we all kind of do that already with our property taxes?
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• We never did. Where I live at, I don't even have a street light on my property! The nearest one is 3 houses down on my side of the street. And then across the street 1 house down there is a street light. This $74 is a monthly payment. Art least its what our news said.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• Oh f that! I hadn't been to Flint in a couple years before last month and things aren't getting any better there, are they!

IMO, they work that into the property taxes...they don't get to just decide on a tax, especially one that high, and just implement it willy-nilly.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• I am in NY and my property taxes are over 11K, so it includes all of that.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• In my county they are part of our taxes. I do property searches for a living. There are some counties that charge for storm water, and streetlights separately. These are typically assessments on your property. I have not heard of one being $74 a month. I can see that per year, but not per month. If they are going to do that is should be a slight increase to your electric bill monthly. I have also seen liens put on homes b/c you didn't pay your street light account.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• its part of property taxes here unless you have the city come out and put a light on your property. i cant imagine adding $74 a month into our budget...we'd be screwed!

whats a summer/winter tax?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• ^^I'm from Michigan, too, and the way I read that was our summer and winter property taxes.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• summer and winter taxes?? wtcrap?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• "whats a summer/winter tax?..."
    Flint city residents every year in ther summer and the winter have to pay our property taxes. Basically I guess is, we pay property tax 2x a year.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• My husband told the street light tax will be applied every time we pay our property tax. The emergency city manager initially wanted it to be paid monthly, but as you can guess, people pitched a hissy fit from hell!
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2012