Inducing Labor at 39 weeks?

So I am going to be a little over 39 weeks when my doctor induces due to very large baby. But my baby hasn't dropped yet(im 38 weeks 3 days) Is this a concern? Should she have dropped by now? this is my first baby and I am just wondering if this may be something for me to be concerned about when trying to induce labor? I just hope it doesn't end in a c-section. When did your baby drop? oh and he didnt check my cervix not until friday.

babybump3166

Asked by babybump3166 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't worry. Some women don't drop until right before labor. Yes at 39 weeks your baby will be fine.
    They took one of mine at 36 cause they thought he was gonna be so big.....little weasel came out 6 lbs. and 6 oz. - smallest of my 3!
    T-Howe

Answer by T-Howe at 1:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• its hard to say when baby will drop some dont do it untill labor begins i wouldnt worry about it to much. Just make sure you walk alot and maybe use a birthing ball while in labor to help open your pelvic up and let baby move down. Good luck and not to scare you but since baby is large and they are inducing be prepared for anything.
    Anonymous

• your due date could be wrong...or you just have a stubborn baby. my son was 10lbs 5oz 22 inch. they just went ahead and had a c-section cuz it was my due date and he hadn't dropped. my dd wasn't as big, but was over 8lbs, and she was a week late. she only dropped a little, and after 6 hours of labor, they gave me a c-section.
    The induction should speed things up, so if she hasn't dropped by then, the induction should do it. on a side note, i really wish i had just waited for my son to come on his own. i tried with my dd but the doctor wasn't helping that at all. all she wanted to do was push a c-section. the induction makes it hurt even worse than normal contractions
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Most often doctors are wrong about very big babies. My MIL had 8 kids. Her first four were over ten pounds and she was a petite lady. Ironically her last four were under eight pounds. lol. I would talk to your doctor about this. I asked my midwife because DD was estimated to be over 9 pounds and she said that it is very rare that a womens body creates a baby too big for her body.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i didnt even notice when my belly dropped.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 1:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I was induced at 39 weeks twice for the same reason. It didnt affect my labor or the length. What did was the pitocin. It seemed the labor with it was alot longer vs the one where they broke my water.

Answer by gemgem at 1:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Induction increases your chances of an epidural which increases your chances of complications and c-section. There is a lot of information on the natural childbirth group about this. If your baby has not dropped, maybe it's just not ready to be born.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Wow~ if you truly don't want a cesarean then avoiding unnecessary interventions like induction would be important.
    Even if your baby is big, you could still birth just fine. You'd probably need a better supporting attendant, though.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2009