Last night I posted a question

asking about labor. I was having contractions every five minutes apart that felt like very dull and consistent cramping. Everyone told me to call my doctor, but I didn't and fell asleep having these regular, constant, contractions for almost four hours before I went to bed. When I woke, they were stronger and I couldn't sleep. Still regular. I took a bath after two hours of this with them every four minutes apart and becoming uncomfortable, but when I got out of the bath they stopped and I haven't had them for two hours.

What does that even mean???
I guess it was just tricky false labor?
I am 35 weeks, by the way.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You could be dehydrated. Make sure you are drinking enough water. If you don't it can cause false labor and can make things very uncomfortable. Also, you may have been over exerting yourself yesterday if you did a lot of work around the house or something.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Im not sure that you are supposed to be taking baths when your that far along. I would be calling your doctor.
    Anonymous

• beckcorc's answer sounds right on to me. False labor is like this. Dehydration and overexertion can both cause it.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I took a bath up until I had the baby. The only time I showered was for the first 2 weeks after having the baby. I did that with both of my kids. Noone ever told me I wasn't supose to shower that far along.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• People birth in water. I've never heard of not being able to take a bath.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Baths are fine as long as they are not hot..or in some people's cases they avoid them since it is hard to get back up with a pregnant belly in a small tub..happened to a friend..lol
    I think also your dehydrated and stress over the upcoming birth can cause this too.
    Wish you the best !
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i would have called the dr just to be on the safe side..i suggest next time it happens to call...and if your doc office is closed, call L&D
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I could be wrong but I think the only time you are NOT supposed to take a bath is if your water has broken because then you run the risk of infection for the baby. Both of my pregnancies I've had epsiodes like yours from about 22 weeks on. the only way I have found that really stops them is to make sure that I drink WAY more than I need to. I can immediatly tell when I haven't had enough to drink becasue the next day the contractios start up. Good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2009