I want to go to a chiropractor. He is the one that uses an adjuster type gun thing to adjust, not manually, so that doesn't seem as scary. I have read articles that say being adjusted by the neck, which is one of my problems I am going for, can cause women to have strokes. Now I am scared. Do you think the adjuster he will use is safer than manually adjusting her with his hands? Is there stilla stroke risk for it? Should I tell him to skip my neck?

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2012 in Health

• Never been to a Chiropractor that used that gun. I was manually adjusted and while I am afraid of neck manipulation, it did cure the problem I was having with tingling fingers

Answer by adnilm at 4:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2012

• I have been to both great chiropractors and a couple of bad ones. That adjusting gun is a joke. If that's what you're going to have done, don't bother.

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2012

• I dont like adjustments. I don't think they work for me.

Answer by booklover545 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2012

• I don't have statistics, but yes, having neck adjustments can cause dissection of the arteries in the neck which can in turn cause stroke. I've actually seen a few patients come in for that reason (I'm a nurse). I'd consider having the rest of my back done, but never my neck.

Answer by katiemomNY at 9:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2012

• totally agree with juliejacobkyle.

Answer by annanonnymommy at 2:44 AM on Jul. 15, 2012