what is a lease addendum ? my landlord gave me a letter saying that my apartment has been amended to include the provision of the VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN. sorry im Mexican and don't quiet understand some word still.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• like the rules of your lease.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• What???? This doesn't make sense. Make sure this is not a joke - or a threat. It sounds like your landlord is being a pig....or this question is a joke.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• An addendum is like an extra addition to your lease. What does it say? I used to be an apartment manager, I can probably help you understand it. Also, he can probably get a copy of it for you in Spanish. Many of those addendums come in Spanish too.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My dh runs apartments and this is this is what that is... it became effective in 2005 and IS required by ALL landlords to place in their leases...
    What it is is to assure that the landlord will NOT evict a person on government aide or holds a voucher for rent if problems occur and it is due by domestic violence...

Meaning if you are a victim of DV your landlord under the law CAN NOT  throw you out... it is in all leases and if not that is what the addendum if for... nothing to worry it is actually protecting a victim of DV there are many, many factors to this law/rule and my dh says not to worry over it...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Flymom07... there IS no joke about an addendum being added to any lease... if it is a law due to fair housing or federal gov housing YES the landlord is "required" to make them...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I see now...The question was worded in a way that didn't sound right. The letter was to "inform" her of the addendum. I just didn't get it...and I am paranoid and cynical from too many prank questions.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• an addendum is a change to your orginal lease....what he means...IDK.
    T-Howe

Answer by T-Howe at 3:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• it means that if you have a boyfriend or husband at the apartment, and you get into a fight and he beats you up, your landlord cant throw you out. The actual law took effect in 2005 but has been rewritten a few times... its to protect you.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 6:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2009