Should outlit covers match the walls?

I recently painted the walls in my basement and I was wondering if I should also paint the outlit and light switches to match the walls?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Cute, I think. You can also wrap them in wall paper, contact paper etc. ..or do you mean the outlet itself and not the cover? You aren't supposed to paint the outlet and switches - but I have done it anyway. ..so i know you can. Just make sure you don't zap yourself - paint is wet - wet and electric doesn't jive.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I don't know about the covers. Seems like it may not stick well. I would think you cold paint the outlets since they aren't handled as much, but the light switches may chip. I have seen where people have painted their vents and it looks so much better when they are blended, but I think light switch covers are fine white or beige depending on the color of the walls. Is your basement dark so the covers stand out alot?
    Anonymous

• Generally, no. Painted outlet covers just look, well, painted. As long as they all match and aren't broken or cracked, there's no need to paint them. Paint chips and peels off so easily.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• An EASY way to achieve an invisible look in switch plate covers, is to buy the CLEAR ones! You can get them at Home Depot/Lowes--whether you have painted or wallpapered walls!

I usually coordinate my covers with a coordinating accent color/theme that already exists in the room. I think the clear ones are a good idea if you have a busily patterned wallpaper or faux textured walls--so the covers don't distract or take away from the "flow" of the room/wall--especially if you have a large 4 switch or several multi-switches scattered throughout a large room.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• you really shouldn't paint over the switch covers but you can change them to ones with different designs that would be better with the new paint job. They sell different ones at your local hardware store.
    MeNMy2Kids

Answer by MeNMy2Kids at 9:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I bought black covers for my kitchen when we made it then they matched the appliances.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 11:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2009