What about people who lie to get on medicaid, foodstamps programs, etc?

Okay, we all probably know someone of multiple someones who has fibbed in order to get medicaid benefits of food stamps of somesort of assistance. Like they say they are seperated from there spouse even though they are not, or they say they don't know who the father is, etc. Anyways, my question is, is it okay to a certain extent. Like if someone is pregnant, and wanting the medicaid to cover the pregnancy, but is not and has not been on it.I would think telling a fib to qualify for something like that would be better that the ones who lie all the time to stay on it permanently. It is such a hard topic because sometimes if is a person who you know really well, and want them to have the care they need but at the same time you know that that is how abusing the system starts. what are some of your thoughts. Do you know someone who has fibbed to get on assistance? Does it bother you any?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know anyone who has lied to stay on food stamps or welfare, but I know someone who has lied to stay on disability.

I think it's sad that some people, who genuinely need it, would have to lie to get it in the first place.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think it is okay only if you are pregant or your kids really need to see a doctor and there is no other way to get insurance. My daughter is on medicaid and I don't know what I would do without it. Other than that it just isn't cool because than people like me that actually need it might not be able to because other people just want something free. So only if they really truly need it, but don't qualify.
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• There is no situation that would make it OK for someone to lie to get assistance. That's the problem we have now, a % of people on it lied to get it. Why should it be OK for some one to lie to get the health benefits just because they are pregnant and can't afford it? If you can't afford to have a baby and support it, you have no business getting pregnant!. And If you do get pregnant, whoever helped you to get pregnant is responsible to pay for it, not the rest of the taxpayers. I do know people who have done this and It makes me sick. People need to grow up, be responsible. I totally agree with temporary assistance for some people who really need it. They should be given a certain time limit and when that time limit is up, so is the assistance. And while people are on assistance, they should be doing some kind of community service to earn it.

Anonymous

• The liars, regardless of reason, are responsible for why the system costs so much and why there is a year or more backlog to get approval of benefits for people who legitimately need them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I agree with anon2:54. I understand why some people lie to get it, although I dont agree with it. The government makes it so difficult for the people who genuinely need assitance to get it, and part of this is because of the people who abuse the system.
    MizzNicole

Answer by MizzNicole at 3:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• If you have to lie to get on it, you don't NEED it in the first place. The only time I was on assistance was I was pregnant and my husband was making 7.00 dollars an hour and I was an unemployed student. I got off medicaid when my husband joined the Army. Now we aren't on any assistance because we can afford insurance. If the military can afford insurance I would think a lot of other people can on that income can too.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a damn shame. I believe in asking for what you need, not for what you want and take advantage of it.
    shorttydnice

Answer by shorttydnice at 3:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think people who lie are shit bags...
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 3:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i think that they need to change the guild lines, yes people have lied to get on, but in a lot of cases it was because they needed the assistance and the only reason that they did not qualify is because they were five dollars over the limit.

this has happened to me i was not trying to get pregnant and using birth control and i still ended up getting pregnant well because i was a few dollars over the limit i did not qualify for Medicaid, no i did not cheat the system but because i could not afford my own health insurance and i could not afford to go to the doctor i had my daughter at 24 weeks, after that we did qualify because we could have never paid the bill off.
    if they would have just covered me and the baby it would have cost a few thousand but instead it cost millions to the tax payers. so if they would raise the amount you could make or have other programs where you pay a co pay then i think that people would not lie.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Its never okay to lie to get assistance. Its deceptive no matter what. Having said that...yes, I do know of someone. I have a friend that told DFCS that she was separated from her husband to get food stamps. I understand WHY she did it, but I don't think its justified. If we all lied because of a circumstance at one time or another where we REALLY needed it, the entire nation would be on assistance. Then who would pay for it?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2009