How can I help my 5 year old daughter to not to watch too much computer or TV without getting too anry and frustrated with them.

could you please tell me some strateges that I could use to help her understand, she really shouldn't watch computer or TV more than 1 hour per day with our any punishment and upsetness.

May be I should blame my self for this to let her watch too much computer games or TV, but right now if I allow her she can watch up to 7+ hours of TV or computer, she doesn't want to eat, or other wise should be infront of computer or TV, but right now It is getting really out of control were she is too freaked our if I tell her she can't watch any TV or computer. I afraid next year when she start real school, it is going to be very frostrating for both of us.

Please advice.

nancy2009

Asked by nancy2009 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You are the mom, the one with the control. Simply just tell her that she is allowed x and x time on the computer and tv. When one of my kids misbehaves I take the computer or tv away from them.
    I would not worry about her not eatting she will eat when she is hungry. I work full time, and when I get home from work, I make dinner and play board games with my daughter. When it is nice out dinner waits and we are outside. There are other things to keep her mind busy.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• There is a button on the front marked "power" you walk over and push this button. When the offending creature is off, you take this opportunity to distract your child with actual learning fun. Puzzles, games, trips to the park ect.
    The only control she has is what you give her and yes it is up to you.
    Anonymous

• She's 5! Simply tell her new rule only 1 hour of tv and computer a day and when the hour is over SHUT IT OFF! If she is upset so what kids don't die from being told no!
    Anonymous

• This not a difficult question, however I understand. Take control! :)
    shorttydnice

Answer by shorttydnice at 3:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• She's going to get over it. I had to do the same with mine when she was 5. When I was pregnant I was so tired that it was easier for me to just let her watch TV all day. I just explained to her that I was reading things from a doctor and it said that it could make her cranky, and tired, and not sleep very well at night so the new rule is that she only get 1 hour of TV. She can listen to the radio if she wants. It was hard at first. She was bored all the time and upset she couldn't watch her favorite shows. Now it's been a little more than a year and she chooses to do other things instead of the TV. When she got home today she listened to the radio and is now playing outside all on her own choice. You're going to have some fights and anger, kids test you, that's normal. It's whats best for her so just remember that when she's mad, and just remind her you're doing it because you love her. Just be consistent.

Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 3:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Give her alternatives to watching TV and computer games. There should be a limit on everything at that age or else how will they grow to have disciplined lives?
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 3:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

•  I am simi gulity of the same thing... our grandson has his own computer, but we do not have tv.. and there for a while he was on his pc a lot during the hrs after school and on weekends until I finally realized that he wasn't going outside as much... and he wasn't playing pc games, he is a smart kid and loves reading updates on his favorite subjects, nascar, webkinz etc...
     I finally had to put a limit on it and simply explained to him that tho he likes being online, it is more important to use the imagination and go play...and that now has been a yr...
     It was a simple take control and set the rules... (but we are a computer/online family here so he only did what he was raised seeing, us on the pc all the time)

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Use an egg timer. Set it for the amount of time you say she can have and when it dings her time is up. End of story. You're the one in charge. Put your foot down. She might make a fuss at first but don't give in.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 4:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2009