What do you consider mothering?

This is a serious question. What do you think a mother is supposed to do for her kids?

This is my response: A mother is supposed to be everything for her kids. She is a cook, cleaner, teacher, disciplinarian, chauffer, best friend, religious instructor, leader and guide.
She is supposed to fulfill these roles while teaching (actually teaching not telling what to do). Teaching the child to be independant and self sufficient.
After the child is able to start reasoning for him/herself, the mother is supposed to gradually let go. When the child is capable of making all the decisions for themselves mother is supposed to stand back and let them.

This question was asked of me and I want your input on it. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I completely agree. I would characterize mothering as introducing your children to the world and nourishing their bodies, minds and hearts. ... It's a lot like gardening: You have to learn what each type of plant NEEDS, and provide it: the plant cannot flourish without that. Many parents adopt the attitude of shaping/molding/demanding their child to match their idea. A plant would die, but children are made of sterner stuff and they manage to survive maltreatment. but they are damaged by it. So a parent should GIVE, not TAKE. ... You can teach responsibility and independence best by ACCOMPANYING the child through the stages - as you say, not by TELLING. Of course there are entire books written on these considerations ... LOL. That's my brief initial response.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• sounds right to me
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• "mothering" means 'comforting" A hug, a meal, a warm blanket, a sympathetic ear, - this is mothering.

To be a mother is a wider range of activities, including teaching values, morals, manners, self-confidence, -behavior that will help the child get along in the cold cruel world. We give our children roots, we give them wings. We help them understand themselves and we enable them to be a happy productive adult.

Answer by Bmat at 2:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I agree you answered quite appropriately.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Loving your children and treating them like the blessings they are. But that doesn't always mean all hugs and kisses. They need to be taught responsibility for their actions but in a way that they know they are always loved and accepted. A mother is a comforting shoulder, a teacher, a disciplinarian, and so many more things. Mothering is raising your children to be strong independent people. Not adults who cling to mommys leg or have issues because of abuse.
    Anonymous

• protection, provision, preparation
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 3:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Ooh ! I LIKE all the above answers ! Nicely put, ladies !
    waldorfmom

• I mostly agree. I'm not my kids' best friend. They have their own age kids for that. Mother is more than friend, but encompasses many of the duties that may go to friends -- listening, giving advice, etc . . .

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Beautiful! Here's another for you... Self esteem is paramount in the development of children. It is priceless & with that in mind, your child will thrive. Teach them to be compassionate, loving, caring, forgiving & gentle. However, we must lead by example. Be supportive, remind them the sky is the limit & that you are always there for them at the end of the day. Remind them too, of the importance of being honest & how that helps shape their integrity & how character is everything. Tell them it is ok to appologize when they've done something hurtful and vice versa. Nurture, love and most of all, tell them that you love them every chance you get.
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 7:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2009