Dd just started sucking her thumb . . .

She is 7 months old and she has just started sucking her thumb. She sucks on her left thumb. Do you think this means that she will be left handed? Also when she claps, it's like her right hand stays still and she moves the left to clap against the right. It's so cute!!

AM78

Asked by AM78 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 13 months & sucks her left thumb, too. I read in Parents magazine I think, that whatever thumb is sucked the most is probably going to be the dominant hand. My daughter does everything with her left hand. She eats with it, picks up toys, everything! Maybe yours is going to be a lefty! I think mine is! :)
    themacs4

Answer by themacs4 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Awww . . . so I probably have a little lefty!!! My brother is a lefty, I don't know if that matters at all. I will watch which hand she uses to grab stuff, but generally I think she just uses the hand that is closest to whatever it is she is reaching for.
    AM78

Answer by AM78 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• That's cool! My grandfather is a lefty & 2 of my hubby's brother's are lefty's. I don't know if its hereditary or not. That's so cool though.
    themacs4

Answer by themacs4 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My dd does the same things but I think it's still too early to tell which hand will be the dominant one. I sucked my left thumb as a kid and I turned out right handed. :-)
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My sister got some sort of little scholarship for being a lefty so it has its benefits.
    BaByNoAhsMoMma

Answer by BaByNoAhsMoMma at 10:51 AM on Feb. 3, 2009