Permanent hair color fading/washing out

I'm having issues dying my hair and wanted some advice. Im 34 and I've only dyed my hair 3 times total and highlighted it twice. My hair is med-dark auburn and the first time I died it a dark blonde, that color took and didn't face but I didnt like it so I dyed it an eggplant color. After 2 weeks it washed or faded and it was permanent dye. I thought maybe it was the cheap brand so I bought a loreal for $10.50 a box, 2 boxes because I have long hair, I just dyed it yesterday but it looks as though its already coming out. I wait 2 days to wash it and I always take good care of my hair and buy good products. Im starting to wonder if companys do something on purpose so we buy more. I try to stick to colors close to my own for that reason. Now Im really lost because my 16 year old got a wash out black dye (3 weeks) and 5 months later I had to go through 4 processes to get it out. All the beauty shops said red and black stay stuck

leahleeleal

Asked by leahleeleal at 1:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2012 in Beauty & Style

• eggplant color that is permanent?
    purple is only semi-permanent color.

*either way if you just colored it a day or two ago- it will most likely still bleed some. Mine always does the first 2-3 washes
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2012

• Ok, Im gonna try to answer this with out it going to classroom...lol. 1st- alot of boxed hair color has been on the shelf or in storage for long periods of time &/or been exposed to heat, which (not always) can cause the activator to loose its potency regardless of where you bought it or the name brand. 2nd- the beautiful eggplant color has a red base to it which all red based colors have a tenancy to fade. Red bases always fades! Black will stick longer due to the fact it is a chemistry make up to develop the color. its more intense. It also depends upon the thickness of your hairshaft. Thicker/med-to-course hair shafts have a larger cuticle and opens up wider than say a skiny/fine hair shift.As the activator widens the cuticle of the hair shaft the chemical process deposits the color inside the hair shaft, then closes it back up. Your hair shaft will only hold so much deposited color so you get the fade effect. CONTINUED...
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 2:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2012

• Ya your right the eggplant was semi perm but it was totally gone in 4 days not the 3 months that it said. I just dont understand why blonde stayed in when my natural hair is dark. Im worried this will wash out or fade too soon because the history of my hair. I've never died it much because my husband loves my natural auburn and it was its own highlights like light brown and blondes. If anyone knows is there something i can do to keep the color longer? By the way this time I got L'Oreal Feria Midnight Collection Haircolor, Violet Soft Black
    leahleeleal

Comment by leahleeleal (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2012

• also know the difference between a deposit (any color darker than your own hair &/or a lower activator =10 vol. A lift is where you take your hair color highter using a higher activator of 20 vol. or more. Once your hair has been lifted, it will have a tendancy to grab color more due to the fact that once the hair shaft has been opened &color removed the hairshaft never completely closes back up = damage kinda/sorta. Anyways...there are a lot of factors that go into coloring your hair &getting color retention. Hair dressers are trained to make those assessments &enlighten you with that kind of information. So, you probally did everything right sweetie, but not completely understanding the chemical reactions your hair reacted to or didnt react to could be a little disappointing. You can get a semi (like EQ shades by redkin) use as a booster to prolong or enhance the color between colorings. But keep in mind reds bleed/fade. GL
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 2:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2012

• a LIFT like blond does not fade. The process takes the color out of the hair. It will grow out, but it will not fade.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 2:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2012

• Thanks for the info. When my daughter did the wash out black I called several salons and they said the total opposite: reds and blacks are very hard to get out. Something about the red and black fuse to the hair rather than a brown or blonde. I actually know a lot about hair, i even cut everyones hair in my family and perms but Im just so confused on why my hair doesn't take. My girls are teenagers and the colors take to their hair. I will look for the color enhancer and try that. I just died it yesterday and it looked almost black but after a shower today and its already so much lighter. Thanks for advice
    leahleeleal

Comment by leahleeleal (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2012

• the kind of shampoo and hardness/softness of your water can have an effect too. i get my hair professionally colored, and there is one line that will fade very quickly and another that will not fade even after 10 weeks, both at the same place, same price.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 7:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2012

• red and black are hard to remove-BUT red is also the hardest to get to stay- it always fades.

there are things you can do- use filler first...use temporary color on top...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2012

• Also- are you on medications that could be affecting it? and do you rinse with cold water or a vinegar rinse after coloring to help close the cuticle?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2012

• IDK bumped ya
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2012