what are night terrors?

lately my 20 month old son has been waking up screaming and no longer sleeps all night and its been going on for a about 2 weeks. i dont know what to do.

C.Lewis

Asked by C.Lewis at 2:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here is a sight on night terrors, I hope it helps
    http://www.nightterrors.org/
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 3:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I HAD NIGHT TERRORS WHEN I WAS A BABY TILL APPROX. 10 YRS. FROM MY EXPERIENCE THEY ARE DREAMS THAT ARE SO VIVID THAT YOU THINK THEY ARE REALITY. MY MOM WOULD TRY TO WAKE ME BUT MY EYES WOULD BE OPEN AND SHE COULDN'T WAKE ME VERY EASILY FROM MY DREAM. THEY WERE NO FUN. I WOULD EVEN SLEEP WALK OR TALK IN MY SLEEP. VERY SCARY!
    THERESA777

Answer by THERESA777 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• a few months ago my son, now 22 months, would wake up in the middle of night screaming so loud it scared me! sometimes it seemed as though he were awake because his eyes would open, but still... he did not seem like himself. sometimes i could cuddle him and get him back to sleep, but most of time he would lay face down on the floor kicking and screaming every time i tried to touch him... as though his limbs hurt... i dont know? anyway, his doctor thought they might be night terrors and said that he would be ok, and they might even go away with time. like a phase. well, it has now been months since it has happened..

now i have no medical background, but i know from personal experience that my kids sleep a lot longer and wake up in much better moods if they have eaten well that day. a happy belly makes a happy person.
    MadeOfStars

Answer by MadeOfStars at 6:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• awww i hope that site helps :( that sounds very scary!
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had night terrors when i was a child. Not when i was a toddler, when i was between7-10 i think. I don't remember having them, but my parents have told me, and my cousin who used to babysit me. They say it is scary but there really wasnt much they could do. I used to come flying down the stairs with my eyes wide open sometimes screaming or yelling. But all they could do was hold me until i came out of it, to make sure i didnt hurt myself by running around.
    JoeysGirl28

Answer by JoeysGirl28 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2009