How can I help my 21 month old get over his separation anxiety?

My son has always had a little bit of separation issues with me and his father, but it seems to be getting worse instead of better. When he wakes up from his nap, he starts screaming after only being asleep 30 to 40 minutes, and has to be held to go back to sleep and only stays asleep again for another 5 or 10 minutes. I know he's still tired so I always end up putting him back to sleep on our couch because ill be right there. He wont play in a room by himself either, he always has to be in the same room as us or he screams and cries. I need some advice. thanks

swtcheeks418

Asked by swtcheeks418 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My two-year-old has separation issues. My husband and I are the only ones that take care of him. We don't have family and friends that live nearby. When we visit my family, they watch him so that my husband and I can go on a date without our children. It takes two to three weeks before he will play in another room by himself. Your son might be going through a phase. It sounds like you are doing the right thing to comfort him. If it continues or worsens, you might want to contact the doctor.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My youngest does that as well, he only cries for a little bit after a nap.
    He recently went to daycare and did suprisingly well! If he does see you though, he will whine, until you come and get him.
    It wont get better until he is around other people
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2009