Hair Pulling?

My 15 Month old daughter has been pulling her hair out of her head (only on one side) for about a month now. She's starting to go bald on that side of her head now because of it. Should I be concerned? or is this normal, she had an ear infection but I'm pretty sure the hair pulling started before then. I've taken away her bottle and now the hair pulling is getting worse. Should I talk to the pediatrician?

Mom2vanna

Asked by Mom2vanna at 3:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think you should.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Your pediatrician should know about this. My son started pulling out his hair right after he turned two. It is called Trichotillomania. The pediatrician told me that about the only thing we can do is keep his hair extremely short so he can't pull or play with it. Also, when we catch him putting his hands up to his head, we are to find something to put in his hands to redirect his thoughts. As young as our children are they can't tell us why they want to continue to pull their hair out. I just know that we have to stop it before it becomes a habit. I have read that if we can curb the behavior while they are young, the chance are good that they won't do it when they are older. You could even do your own research. I use medlineplus.com. The children's hospital here tells all parents about that medical website. I hope that this helps.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i think you should talk to her doctor also.
    Anonymous

• definitely call right now
    i dont think she will keep mittens on her hands, please give us an update
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2009