Does anyone else keep their child on a strict sleep schedule?

My daughter turned 3 in Dec. and I still make appointments and plan my day around her nap schedule! Friends/family will ask my daughter and I to have a play date and if it doesn't coordinate with her nap schedule, then I don't go! Is this bad? some moms look at me like I am crazy because I do this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think it is bad. My kids use to go to bed at 9pm every night. Yes, that means 7 days a week..

Answer by louise2 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Well there is nothing wrong making sure she takes her nap, but I never did as soon as they started to not want to take naps anylonger. But to schedule my things to do around their schedule no for me it is going too far. But to each his own. Whatever works for you.

You don't want your children to think that they have control over you I mean if other things come up in the future. Do what is easy for you and child.

You'd be surprise on how many mom's i see out there where they over do it. Yes talk to your child like they are adults not like babies or they will act like babies.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Mine is 2.5 and I do this too. Why on earth would I not? How much fun can she have when she is tired and cranky because I chose to drag her out at the time she is used to resting? I agree with you! My child's physical needs come first. Educational needs next (and play counts as education at this age). My errands last.

I simply don't understand why some moms choose to drag tired kids out simply for their own convience and then get upset when the child has a melt down.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• We have with our 10 year old for sure but she has a few quirks....The 6 year old yes when she is with us but my older two have a much freer schedule. I myself find scheduling to be a BIG help.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I'm right there with you! My son is 3 1/2 and he still gets his nap. People don't understand and think it doesn't matter if he misses a nap to go do something, but I don't see the point in taking him out when he's tired and cranky. I also don't understand why parents think a 1 yr old doesn't need a nap....maybe that's one reason why they have meltdowns and tantrums. My son never has behavior problems unless he's over tired. Plus I think he sleeps better at night time because he's used to the schedule and the amount of sleep he gets naps included.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Scheduling appointments/activities around a baby's nap schedule doesn't mean the CHILD is in control. It means the mother wants to make sure her child has an adequate amount of rest!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My child goes to bed at the same time every night. If that means I can't go out to dinner with my honey after 7pm, then so be it.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 20 months and we are very anal about her nap schedule. 99% of the time she gets her naps and goes to bed exactly the same time everyday. My dh is more strict though he god mad at me when I let her stay up later when the grandparents were in town visiting. But for things like that I really don't think it is a big deal to vary the schedule a little. But when she gets cranky then we know that it is sleep time.
    newmom530

Answer by newmom530 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I most definitely schedule things around the naps. The child is not old enough to realize you are scheduling things around their naps so THEY ARE NOT IN CONTROL! It would be worse if I scheduled something and then when we got there he had a major melt down and wanted to go home because he was tired and cranky. To me that would be letting him be in conrtol and I would not force my child to stay if he were that tired and cranky. I hate it when other mother's do that because my son picks up on it and gets upset with the other child (maybe he is to empathetic). My kids do not have a strict schedule though. They nap when they are tired which is generally the same time each day.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I keep a strict sleeping schedule. If I don't my kids are whiney and cranky. My 3 y/o HAS to have her nap or she is awful.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2009