my 4 year old has been having nightmares

Any ideas on what i can do? He has a nightlight but it hasnt been helping, i even haave to turn the closet light on

camtri3

Asked by camtri3 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• IDK if there's anything you can do... my husband had night terrors really bad when he was a kid. He says that waking him up worked best. His folks would pat him, splash water on his face, whatever, just get him woken up so he came to his senses and knew everything was okay.
    My 15 month old has nightmares sometimes, and we hold her and talk to her and show her her own reflection in the mirror.
    As far as prevention, this may or may not be helpful, but all I can think of is 1. wear them out during the day so they sleep soundly, and 2. no eating or drinking awhile before bed.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Try giving him a atuffed bear or dog and tell him that the stuffed animal will eat all the bad dreams. Sounds crazy but it works trust me
    babysmama03

Answer by babysmama03 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• He may be having night terrors, and unfortunately there is not a lot you can do. Try and make sure they get lots of activities in, and make sure they eat WELL before bed time. Night lights can also cause large shadows, so you might want to try a small, low light lamp instead.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Also, I have a friend who's daughter about your's' age was having severe nightmares, like where she would go hide behind her dresser and scream at you if you came near ... this went on for a long time, until they finally realized that her blood sugar was dropping really low at night and she was actually having hallucinations.

this is obviously not common, but just keep the medical side of it in mind.

good luck hun.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• A friend of ours gave their son a little spray bottle with water in it and told him it would scare away bad dreams, all he had to do was spray it in his room...works like a charm. We have dream catchers in our bedrooms and our son knows that they catch bad dreams and let the good ones find us. When our son has night terrors we just hold him until they pass or he wakes up fully and knows he is safe. It is scary but their little minds are so active processing the day they get overloaded and can spook them. A fish tank worked well for our boy because his fish are always 'awake' watching him sleep - he finds that comforting.
    mystic-mom

Answer by mystic-mom at 12:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2009