My Son has a tough time with formula But...

Im breastfeeding him mostly b/c i believe its healthier but i also work and sometimes i cant pump out enough milk for him while im at work so ive been using Similac sensitive because the advanced would make him gassy but i rarely use the formula so i find it pointless to go buy a new can every month so i was wondering if anyone has tried similac alitmentum because thats the only formula i think would be ok for my son and it comes packaged so i could buy the ready to feed containers and not waste formula

Memosmom

Asked by Memosmom at 3:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not really sure exactly what your question is, but any ready to feed formula will only be good after opening for 2 days or less I'm pretty sure. So if you aren't using much of it, then it won't be very cost effective for you.
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 3:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• what about trying the the soy my son did great with that similac i know a lot of my friends babies wouldnt drink that alitmentum good luck.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I encourage you to go to La Leche League's website for some research. I do not positively KNOW, but I'm pretty sure you want to be careful about exposing a baby to formula, then not using it for a while - it causes an allergic reaction to the formula later (soy-based formula = allergic to sy - which is what happened with my daughter-in-law; dairy-based formula= allergic to dairy). since it is definitely not a good idea to use formula INSTEAD of breastfeeding, can you use fennel tea to supplement your milk - at least until you can either start generating enough milk to pump or change your work-situation so that you can nurse him during the day ... ?? (Fennel tea= 2-3 fennel seeds in a mug, pour boiling water over them & steep for 5 minutes (use pure water since your baby will be drinking it). Mothers use fennel tea a lot for infants to get better-hydrated or they have colic and the fennel helps with gas and bowel troubles.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• no formula is a good formula. keep nursing. idk what kind of pump you use, but you want the best you can find. i'd recommend medela. pumping can't express all that a baby can so you may have to try supply boosting. get some fenugreek caps from GNC. take 2 a few times a day. there's also something gerber makes. i think they have water in them. you can microwave them & the heat along with massage will hep your milk let down while you pump. avent breast shels helped me. they'd catch whatever milk i leaked. just be sure to store the milk asap. i did it every 1/2 hour. if after all this you still have trouble, look into the sharemilk group. you can have another woman's breastmilk instead of having to give your baby harmful formula. if you need anymore help, i'm here.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2009