Did you or anyone you know propose to their SO?

I am thinking about it but am too scared! I guess scared of rejecetion even though we have been together for quite some time and have a children together!! It just never comes up in conversation or anything!
He hasn't mentioned it since I was 18 and without kids! And that was when I was living at home! We have lived together for 4 years and I am ready for the committment! I want to do it because its "different" and i think that he would really like it but then again, i don't know if he would like something like that! I would really like for him to do the proposing BUT he just wont for whatever reason! I mean he has been talking about buying a house together (we currently rent an apt) and all these ambitions for our future BUT no marriage talk! So what are your takes on this? Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• If you're really scared, maybe instead of actually proposing, bring it up in conversation to get a feel of what he thinks about it. It might prompt him to actually do the proposing and if not, then I would ask. I didn't ask my husband... he actually didn't mean to propose to me when he did LOL
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Silvertears.......everytime I bring it up, it somehow gets avoided! Like he wants to avoid the conversation more than anything in this whole world! LOL! Well that's what it seems like to me! I just don't know! I don't want to to potentially ruin my relationship because he says no, i will get my feelings hurt but i think it's a risk im willing to take! I just want to know that he WANTS to be there for me FOREVER! Even if it takes 5 years to actually get married!!!!!!!!!!! I think i am ready! In my heart I am ready, I am 100% committed to this man and want him to know that I mean business (as corny as that sounds) LOL! Im just tired of bringing it up and the answer never comes straight!!!!! I want this so bad! I mean, I want him to WANT it!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• awwwwwwwwwww i was hoping for more responses! It's ok ladies, you can give your honest opinion! brutal or not! :)
    Anonymous

• Would you buy yourself a ring? I was only asking because your question was making me think of ways you could ask him. If you had a ring you could put it on his dessert or something and with icing that says "Got a ?" or something to lighten the mood and gives him a chance to step up and ask you. or you could make your own popsicle in a dixie cup or something...freeze the ring (maybe even his ring) in the popsicle and write on the stick something about you wanting him as your husband. I don't know what to tell you, but it would be easier if you knew how he felt about marriage or why he was avoiding it. Please let us know how it works out.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I Would Have A Serious Talk With Him And Find Out If He Even Really Wants To Be Married.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 4:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• thanks so much ladies! i like all the responses! need more though! LOL! Im thinking of something along those lines, ria7! thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe on v-day! this is definitely something im serious about!
    Anonymous

• My fiance just proposed to me last week (with the ring). All I did was took him to Walmart and pointed out a bunch of rings I liked then asked him which ones he liked. A few days later he went and bought the ring on his way home from work one morning. It wasn't the most romantic thing because he asked me if i'd marry him in a bathroom of all places but maybe you could give him some more direct hints. If you really want to propose to him maybe make it kind of jokingly, get a little crappy ring out of a quarter machine and propose to him with it.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 5:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I would be hesitant to buy yourself a ring because they are more expensive...but Im cheap and you don't know what he will say. I think it would be cute to buy his ring. I have never know anyone to propose to their husband..pressure them mayb, but thats no fun. Times are changing and if your up for it I think it would be fun. Is he into trucks and stuff? You could get a tshirt or pillow case made with a picture of the back of a truck and it could say "Wanna get hitched?" I would do it with some humor...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Yea i wasn't thinking along the lines to buy myself a ring but maybe a dog tag neckalace (he has always wanted one of those) and say something along the lines of "I want you to be my one and only forever" I want it to be romantic but yes a little humurous too! We have a lot of inside Jokes and stuff between us so that would be cute!~ We call eachother "Beby" and have forever since we've been together so something like that I think would be cute!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Hopefully your idea works out and you get the big YES or he gets the hint and proposes to you. I never got proposed to =..( My husband just said ok well will get married in two months and that's it! We had been together for 3 years then I got pregnant so he just wanted to get married before our son was born. Ofcourse I didn't want to get married with a huge belly but I did anyways. Yeah, he's not a big romantic
    DianaT.

Answer by DianaT. at 7:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2009