Old and Angry...

Moms that I see in public that are clearly in their mid 30s that have a newborn or young tot always look so pissed ... why is that? They are always the ones that dont smile back when smiled at by those that caught them staring. Whats the deal, explain to me someone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Okay I'm 37 and have a two year old. First I really don't consider myself old. That's at least 60. But to defend myself I was that "old and angry" parent today. Why? Well my 12 yo called from school just as I put the 2 yo down for her nap to ask me to bring his trombone to school. Get home reput the baby to bed the dog knocked over my table and smashed my glass vase which I cut my leg on while cleaning it up And hey wait a second I have see younger moms with the same angry scowl on their faces. It's not just us old and feeble ones. : ( look I'm scowling again. I think it's the person and not the age.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• now that i think of it, that is true i have noticed that alot too. i dont know i am in my 20s and we are on the 2nd one and i still smile at everyone, i dont know maybe someone in that age range will tell you.
    Anonymous

• im tellin ya, they always look pissed. its weird. im in my 20s and am always gettin the dirty looks from older moms at babies r us. but even aside from the dirty looks, they always look angry.
    Anonymous

• maybe its stress? i dont know im sure not every 'old' mother is angry and every 'young' mother is happy. lol im a young mother and theres not a happy bone in my body :>
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had my babies when I was 22, 24 and 31. And I remember realizing when my 3rd was not yet walking that it felt a lot HARDER this time around. I mused that it was because I was accustomed to having things the way I wanted them in my life (in our 30s we are in our organized & organizing phase - in our 20s we are in the gathering-experiences phase of our lives). Of course, a baby required instantly giving up something I'd been planning to do that morning/ afternoon/ evening/ weekend. Of course, as soon as I recognized it, I got myself into the right frame of mind and was able to freely flow with mothering 3 children and feel completely affectionate and not irritated. ... but I THINK I can understand where these unfortunate mothers are coming from. I hope for their sakes AND ESPECIALLY for the sakes of their children that they overcome it. Sadly, our society lack models of immersed mothering AND devalues the activity of mothering
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had my second at 30 and it was harder on me physically. Possibly the older mothers have older children in school and have so much to do that they are concentrating and not actually being angry. The young moms MAY have fewer or younger children and may be more relaxed.

Answer by Bmat at 4:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Not enough sex, the hubby never home and working double shift and mom stuck at home writing out bills and not going out enough. You'll see.........
    Anonymous

• First off, who thinks women in their mid 30's are old???????
    Anonymous

• ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE MORE GOING ON IN THE INSIDE OF THEM AND THATS THE WAY THEY VENT.NOT NECESSARILY MENAING ANYTHING BY IT ,YOU JUST NEVER KNOW WHAT THE NEXT PERSON IS DEALING WITH.NOW I'M NOT SAYING IT'S RIGHT TO HAVE AN ATTITUDE BUT THAT COULD VERY WELL BE THEIR DEMEANOR.DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL JUST KNOW THAT WHEN YOU SPEAK YOU ARE DOING YOUR ACT OF KINDNESS DON'T ALWAYS EXPECT KINDNESS BACK YOU WILL BE UPSET,
    SCOOKIH

Answer by SCOOKIH at 7:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Well mid 30s is old if you are barely 21.......like a 21 year old with their first child compared with the 35 yr old having her first child. imagine being 21 and having a baby if you didnt have your first till 35 or so..... maybe us spring chickens look to these older than us parents and hope that later in life there is promise, maybe were lookin for some reassurance, but its pretty rare we see a smile on these womens faces. and it bums us out too. I have some screwed up shit goin on in my life, but i still smile and put on a good front.
    Anonymous