Do you think that if women...

were to rule the world in the same political positions men hold now, would the world be a safer and gentler place? Or do you think that's a naive point of view given what has been proven in cases where women were treated or equal to men? Things like Abu Ghraib, where 4 were women and one was a commanding officer.

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 12:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally, I think it might be even worse. The cattiest, most hotheaded people I know are women!

Answer by missanc at 12:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• Honestly, I don't know. Women do have some qualities that men don't (or at least, men don't embrace them) that I think could make them good leaders. But at the same time, as missanc said, women can be catty and hotheaded, and that could lead to really bad things.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• I don't know that I'd go that far, but I think it would be equal missanc, but thanks for the answer
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• I think there needs to be more of a balance between males and females in leadership positions. All male (mostly) isn't working, but I don't think all female (mostly) would work either. We all have strengths and weaknesses. To REALLY be effective those in leadership positions need to have strengths that bolster and support others' weaknesses.

There is a reason the majority of my friends have always been guys: I can not STAND the backstabbing and bitchiness of 98% of the females I've met or known.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• I would like to think so, but something about that makes me feel like it's not realistic.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• I think it would be in about the same shape. We are catty and vicious creatures, especially towards each other. Picture the "mean girls" in high school. For many, that mentality stays with them until the day they die.

Then we have the "oh I love that! it looks great on you!" and as soon as you have left "omg! did you see that hideous thing she was wearing!?" We definitely make better spies than me because of that seemingly natural ability to be two-faced.

When it comes to the world and politics, it truly needs to be a balance of men and women.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• About the same
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• I would think it might be better, but I don't know by how much,, and I would think that it would have to happen everywhere for it to be effective, just not the US.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• I think we would be in trouble if women ran the world. Women in general are judgmental, caddy, bitchy, back-stabbing, gossipy, and hold grudges like no other. If you make a woman mad, it will be difficult for her to just let it go and not take everything personally. Cripes, just look at CM! We'd already be up to WWXX!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• I think it would depend a lot on the women involved, their basic nature, and how far they could be bullied by any men directly involved (such as our own sitting Congress that is used to doing things a certain way/been paid off by powerful lobbyists).

I've known many strong, determined, honest women who are also compassionate and concerned for others. I've known many others who are strong and willing to step on anyone in their climb to power that have no compassion and care for no one but themselves, including their spouse or their children.

It takes a certain amount of strength to run anything well, whether it's a home or a country ~ and it takes more than compassion to care for others and make sure they get what they need. And a leader also has to be willing to protect the people they are responsible for, even a leader who is female.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2012