Babies in shoes....

my kids are 7 1/2 and 6 years old. They were born right at the time(s) when novelty baby shoes were really taking off, all the celebs were heavily promoting it

Officially as of today my kids both have 2 friends (each) with very similarly diagnosed feet issues needing special shoes and inserts to correct

It's understood now baby shoes are novelty items and serve no purpose other than cuteness..... do you think it's a fluke or are more and pediatric foot issues on the cusp of exploding? A girl my daughter went to preschool with had to drive 10 hours round trip to the really good children's hospital in our state and her Dr said this is reminding him of an autism explosion. he's never had a waiting list before and the custom insert ortho department can barely keep up with the demands right now............

thoughts and opinions on whether a ton of (well meaning and or superficial mommas) have wrecked their kids tooties?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• LOL,, DH is an orthotist (he works with feet) If baby is walking in the incorrect shoe, it can cause the feet to grow improperly, but if they are just shoes that were put on for decoration (meaning the baby couldn't walk) unless they were too tight, and worn for long, long periods of time, no harm done.
    Many people are becoming more aware of how children are walking, and it is a good thing to seek intervention early, it can prevent many problems down the road.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• Could be either or. I had some cute little shoes for my sons when they were babies, but they were mostly for "decoration". lol I would put them on them if we were going to get pictures done, or if I was dressing them up for a holiday or something, but on a day to day basis I didn't generally put shoes on them.

I think it might depend on what shoes you put on them, too. You mention celebs promoting them - if you recall, just recently some shoe got slammed because Brooke Burke promoted them making all these claims that testing proved weren't true. So it's possible that those celeb promoted shoes were not designed well for babies feet, and could have caused problems, where a regular, good, quality infants shoes might not have.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• i put shoes on my kids when they were old enough to walk or if it was cold outside or if we were getting pictures made. other than that, they were barefoot (still are at ages 5 and 2)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• I never did understand why one would put shoes on a baby that can't even hold its head up. I think there just might be a rise in foot/walking problems in children that had to wear those stupid looking little useless shoes.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• DS has only worn shoes twice. one for Christmas pictures and the second for Easter Sunday. he still doesnt walk more than a few steps here & there (he's lazy!) so i dont put shoes on him...ever. when he starts walking everywhere i will buy him one pair of really good shoes (no shoes on in my house).

but anywhere we go the babies (6 months+) have on shoes, while my guy is barefoot. i dont get it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• I wouldn't think it would be a huge issue since a)most parents don't leave shoes on infants for long, and as soon as they are able most babies are pulling them off themselves and b)kids aren't walking in them.
    I think it's more likely poor quality walking shoes that kids are wearing as toddlers. I know when I was little, there were far fewer places to get shoes - you had to go to a shoe store, where the salesman helped pick out the correct size/type of shoe. Now you can pick them up just anywhere (even the dollar store!) and it's possible that there are lower quality shoes of the incorrect size being put on children.

Answer by missanc at 2:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• My babies were just before the no shoe idea became popular. We were told to get the supportive baby shoes- the high ones- to help support the ankles. My children's feet are fine. I think they would have been fine if they'd been barefoot all the time, also.

Answer by Bmat at 2:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• kimi: curious if u could get his opinion on this:

first born have bad feet because uterus is smaller/tighter and feet are squashed and folded
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• He says no way,, it is inhereited trait,, but he also said OMG,, someone on CAFE MOM wants my advice? LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• I am not a doctor but I would not think baby shoes would have anything to o with it.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2012