My son late is for school.

My 5 year old is in PreK, I get him up a 6:00 am to be ready for school by 7:45am. He is Ok when getting dressed, when breakfast time comes, he will dawdle around wasting time. When it is time to brush teeth and brush hair, he is messing around again. I am already ready and waiting for him. He knows how to do all these things and yet he dawdles around making himself late. The school is not that far. I have punished him by taking away his TV time during the day but other suggestions would be greatful.

Meandmyluvbug

Asked by Meandmyluvbug at 3:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He is 5 and time means nothing to him. That is normal, you just have to stay after him. If you make it too unpleasant you will have this problem longer probably. Good Luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• You are responsible for getting him to school on time. If that means you walk behind him and tell him to hurry up every 2 min, then that's what you have to do.
    Anonymous

• As far as dawdling at the breakfast table what I did was give my kids a reasonable amount of time to eat and then remove their plate. It sounds harsh I know, but after a few days of doing this they get the message: eat or be hungry.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 4:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My boys are 7 and 5 and I STILL walk them through daily routines! Not so much to "hover" over them, but to make sure they do a good/thorough job...at brushing teeth, hair, face, taking a bath, pick coordinating tops/bottoms, etc., and talk to them/remind them about school, homework/tests, special events, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Set a timer for each thing that has to be done, when he sits down for breakfast set it then when he goes into the bathroom reset it. When the timer goes off he needs to move on the the next thing, the first few days he will probably not actually finish anything, but in the long run a few days of partially brushed hair and teeth are not going to hurt anything.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Just a thought, but one hour and 45 minutes seems like a long time to allow for getting a little guy ready for school. Maybe he has too much time to "dawdle" in between tasks. Try getting him up about 45 minutes before time to go. Everything he needs to do will have to be done quickly and one right after the other. This might help get him in more of a routine.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 10:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My 5 year old is the same way...you just have to keep on reminding them of what they need to do. If they are taking too long with something let them know to speed it up. If not they will play all day...time doesn't mean anything to them at this age. They need constant reminders.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• use a carrot and stick -- the timer + if finish EVERYTHING then get something cool -- like TV time or extra play time etc.

Taking tv away after school prob. isn't adressing b/c he has little to no REAL concept of time, a timer will help him figure out how much time he is taking and give him a more concrete understanding of how time flies.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yeah, my son is five, and he just takes soooo long. But we get up at six thirty so he gets on the bus at 7:15. Yup. We don't mess around. 15 minutes to dress, 15 minutes to eat one bowl of cereal, and five minutes to brush his teeth, and hair. But, I wonder how much sleep your kid is getting during the night, and if he has trouble with sleep apnea or something. He could be really, really tired.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 11:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I used to have this problem w/ my dd. I made her a chart for her daily activities. Make bed, get dressed, eat breakfast, brush teeth, brush hair, socks and shoes, jacket ... I used pictures b/c she couldn't read...she would check her chart to be sure she had everything done and was ready to go. She loved having a chart and that was all we had to do.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 3:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009