When to take away the binky?

Hello All. My daughter is 9 mo. old and uses her binky only for naps and bedtime. She only sucks on it for a few minutes while she is falling asleep. She also likes to bite on it (teething). I'm just wondering when the best time is to take it away? Are there pros/cons to doing it sooner or later? I've heard some babies will just give it up at some point....is that true? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Last I read, the American Academy of Pediatrics (or whatever it's called) suggested 12 months. However, my son is 17 months and I haven't felt the need to take it away yet. We'll probably wean him off daytime use shortly, but still let him use it for sleeping, and then totally wean him when he's about 2. I know it's going to suck, so I'm not in a hurry! lol
    StarrMom2Xander

Answer by StarrMom2Xander at 5:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My dd's doc said a baby loses their need for sucking between 6-9 months so it may be a good time to try taking it away soon. I personally think it's easier to do it sooner than later. I've read comments on here before though saying a child is more likely to have an oral fixation later in life (like smoking) if they do not complete that need for sucking. You'll probably know when she's ready but I'd try taking it away soon and see how it goes.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2009