How old was your baby when they switched from two naps to one nap?

My daughter is 9 mo. old and takes two naps during the day for a total of 3-4 hours of day time sleep. She also sleeps about 11-12 hours at night. Lately, however, she isn't sleeping as well at night. She is waking up frequently and isn't always going back to sleep (she used to). She also has a little cold that has been a pain to get rid of (the whole family has it...its been a couple of weeks now...just when you think you're getting better, it comes back for another round). Anyway, do you think it is possible that she is ready to cut it down to one nap or is it more likely the cold is just bothering her at night? Either way, I'd appreciate any advice about how to know that its time to cut out one of the naps and how to do it. Thanks!

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I doubt she's ready to drop that 2nd nap. Most do so sometime after a year but before 18 months - usually closer to 18 months. Mine dropped it at 14 months.

I would guess that she is teething or is trying to master a new skill like crawling or walking - both of those will cause babies to wake multiple times in the night.

How do you know when they are ready for one nap? They simply refuse to take one of the naps, playing or crying in their crib instead of sleeping.

Remember, getting a child "extra tired" so she sleeps better at night doesn't work. It actually works against what is happening inside a child's body. Overtired kids have a harder time falling asleep, a harder time staying asleep, and usually wake earlier, not later.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I went out one day and forgot my son's paci. He asked after it a few times and finally I told him that his dad and I were at the grocery store and saw a tiny new baby whose mom couldn't afford to buy her any, so we gave all his paci's to the new baby, because she needed them more than he did. He hasn't asked about them since! P.S. He was over 2 years old when he finally gave them up.
    kidlovesbatman

Answer by kidlovesbatman at 4:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It's probably just the cold. My dd is 9 mo. as well and still takes two naps but I've read that they still need two naps until around 18-24 months. It may also be due to anything new that your baby's doing like crawling, talking, pulling up, cruising, etc. Those things tend to disturb sleep because they want to practice the things they're learning.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2009