Mayonnaise and frequency of shampooing

Anyone ever do the mayonnaise in the hair thing? I was just reading a book saying one should do it twice a month. I did it yesterday, rinsed really well, and followed with conditioner... Hopefully it was good for my hair, but yuck- I have mayo head! Greasy and smells like mayo! I'm going to shampoo it now!
This book also said that you should only shampoo your hair twice a week if it's straight (which is about what I do usually, anyway), once a week if it's wavy, and once every 2 weeks if it's curly/kinky! I didn't realize that curly haired people were supposed to shampoo so infrequently! The author, with curls, said she only shampoos once every eight weeks! And her hair is great! She still rinses and conditions when she showers.
Weigh in on this too: what's your hair type and how often do you shampoo it?

sfwilson

Asked by sfwilson at 4:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I have done the mayo thing - but only on my ends. Never had great results.

I prefer virgin coconut - scoop it right out of the jar and put it everywhere - hair, face, arms, all over. That seems to rinse out the easiest and best. I tried banana in my hair - holy crap those chunks were nasty - i thought it was pretty finely smooshed but NO. It wasn't. Getting called "banana head" by DH was a lot of fun too, ha.

My hair is fine but full and holds no curl but has a naturally odd wave to it.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I like "Tresemme" or VO5 I would try the old fashion stuff but I don't want to go through all that funk, not too mention about 6 months ago I heard of this remedy on dyeing your hair with black coffee I tried it it only lasted for 2 days I smelled like coffee the whole time. I have dark brown hair.

That is what I get for being cheap about it all these new products they have now a days and we want to try something old. Never again.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I have curly hair and I was my hair about twice a week. I wash it once a week when I straighten it.
    AM78

Answer by AM78 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I heard about the mayo thing. But I thought it was used as conditioner. Not with conditioner.

I have curly hair curly ( I am white). I wash and condition my hair once a week. I use the leave in conditioner to. It helps the freezes.

Answer by louise2 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Wimsey, LOL! Banana Head! My hubs was calling me mayo head yesterday. I was embarrassed a bit b/c we went over to his boss's right after my shower, and everyone hugs and kisses, and I just knew I smelled like mayonnaise! But I didn't say anything!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I have very fine, thin straight hair. If I wash it more than twice a week I look like a dandelion. My sister has very coarse, curly hair. She rinses her hair every shower but only washes it once a week. She has to use heavy duty conditioners as well.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I just say this to elaborate on what you read. If you have caucasion hair but oily you should shampoo twice a week. Over shampoo strips it's glow and softness. Also it is bad to ver shampoo if you have color treated hair. If you have dry brittle hair, particulary black hair, you should shampoo every two weeks because you don't want to make hair aany drier than it naturally is. Everyone with dry hair or dry scalps should stay away from alcohol type shampoos. Everyone should condition and shampoo/conditioning combos aren't great for the hair either. Hope this helps
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 8:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2009