3 year old skin and mouth constantly smells like feces?

My daughter is almost 4 (nov 17th) and she started smelling really bad. We thought it was soap i didn't rinse well enough from behind her ears, so ive been giving her extra baths than our other children. We have a 2 year old and a 1 year old both of who have the same bath schedule as her until these extra baths, all brush their teeth and have a pretty decent and balanced diet. I can't figure out why she smells so much like feces. She is not potty trained (she REFUSES) and I really have no idea what to do. I've tried lostions, disinfectant hand sanitizer on her hands, bathing her with feminin wash, baby shampoo, everything really. I'm getting ready to make her a doctor's appointment tomarrow. I had talked to my MIL to see if she had any idea and she did the same thing when she kept her over night, extra bath lotions and different washes. I would think if i was doing something wrong with her hygiene or diet that my other children would have the same problem but they don't. I'm worried im doing something wrong that maybe I'm not aware of? And i also feel embarrassed for her since shes a lovey person but its hard to be around someone who literally smells like they ran outside and rolled in a pile of doody. Has anyone had a similar situation happen? Is this a medical condition i should be aware of when i talk to my pediatrican?

~concerned mom of 3

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Was she tested for PKU?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 6:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• Well your smellr may be off.
    Your daughter maybe eating the stuff
    Your daughter needs to be kept cleaner including teeth brushing and dental visits.
    No other clues.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• I have heard of medical conditions causing a bad smell to a person, though never heard of it at that age. How often does she bathe? And you say she isn't potty trained. Does she use the toilette at all?
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 6:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• look up Trimethylaminuria.
    Anonymous

• she goes to dentist regularly her teeth r u perfect health no cavaties and like i said im not the only one who smells it and she is supervised at all times there is no way she could eat it. And no i have not gotten her tested for PKU im not sure what that is.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• she goes to the toilet before baths and she baths 3 times a day... i usually do when my kids get up and before and once if needed between breakfast and bath if they get into dirt outside or something but i've been bathing the third right before lunch to see if thats the problem.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• i think she needs some blood work done, this could be many things, including PKU. I would take her to the doctor, having only one bath the night before, so they can smell it. I really think you need to get this checked.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• if you read above you would have read that I am making her an appointment in the morning
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• She should have been checked for it at birth. It causes the odor you're describing.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 7:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• Definitely see the doctor. At first, I thought it just said her mouth, and I was going to ask if you were positive she was brushing her teeth, because I know my boys get some seriously rank breath if they don't brush. But it's her skin, too, and that tells me it's something big that needs to be checked out.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2012