would u put ur child in pagents,dance,voice,sports...etc...

omg , i was watchin toddlers in tiaras i loooove it! wen i was little i always wanted to take dance , but my parents couldnt afford it for 2 kids , then i got to my tomboy phase but got injured and couldnt do sports , so i never did anything like that as a kid ... me and my bf talked and we're going to make SURE we have the money for our daughter to do dance,voice lessons,and hopefully pagents ... we also would like her to play a sport (we're not going to force , i wanna introduce it and if she dont like it than watever we wont do it, i would never force my child) ... my son is 4 and is enrolling in karate , my daughter is only a month so we're not worried about it now ... so whats ur take on enrolling children in these things?

tha-hawt-mommie

Asked by tha-hawt-mommie at 4:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I will never force my child into anything. If she wants to take dance, karate, sports we will make sure we can afford it. I think having interests in things and activities is healthy, but I will definitely never force her into it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I know you didn't say force lol.. sorry. I think enrolling them is a good thing if it's what they want to do :)
    celticreverie

• I think enrolling your child in dance, music or sports is totally different than that crazy pageant stuff...I'm not a fan of that stuff.

My daughter takes ballet and swim lessons.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I approve. It helps the child develop a notion of what they like and what their talents are. Everything they learn helps them broaden their knowledge base, and the broader the knowledge base, the more they understand and learn. So by all means let the child try out the various activities. Obviously don't overwhelm the child- I've heard of children who had sports after school and then piano and then dance, so choose carefully. And don't let the child drop out right away, give them time to really get into it- when I teach dance (to adults) I suggest that they give it at least three classes - so they can learn the basic moves and then decide if it isn't for them. Every new skill has a learning stage where they learn the basics before getting into the meat of the activity.

Answer by Bmat at 4:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My son has played hockey since he was 3 years old. Neither DH or I had played any sports but we went to watch hockey games and DS started pointing at the goalie and saying "Me do it" when he was 18 months so we let him start as early as he could. He also did baseball, soccer, football and lacrosse but only hockey stuck and now he plays hockey year round. I think there are many great lifelessons to be learned in organized sports both on and off the field.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Dance? Sure. Grace and flexibility are helpful traits throughout life.
    Sports? Sure. Being a member of a team is important to learn. Karate is a great life skill.
    Art, music, and voice? Sure. Kids get crammed full of left brain stuff all day at school. Some right brain activites are needed too.

Pagents? Never. I avoid that show. It makes me so sad to see little girls stripped of their childhoods and turned into mini sex symbols. I saw an ad for it and this tiny little girl was looking in the mirror, wearing next to nothing and more makeup than a hooker, she poses in a provocative way and says "I look gooooooood". Puke! And we wonder why grown men have such sexual thoughts about little girls. I figure if you aren't old enough for the attention, you shouldn't be "advertising".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i think if its something the child wants to do and enjoys doing it then you should allow them to. I would never force a child to do any of those things if they didnt want to. But there is nothing wrong with saying would you like to do this? and if they say yes then do it and if it happens that they dont like it then owell .
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• goaliemom: OMG i would love to see a kid that small play hockeyyy!!! omg i bet its the funniest/cutest thing ever
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 4:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• DS is in karate and a sculpture class, he's also done soccer & football

DD#1 is in dance and an art class, she says she wants to do soccer & basketball when she gets into K

DD#2 is in some Mommy & me classes & swimming All 3 are taking horseback riding lessons (I ride with our youngest.). They love everything they do & they have many options available to them. I won't force it at all, but do think it's necessary for at least 1 activity.

3earthangels

Answer by 3earthangels at 4:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• HATE the pageants. The rest is cute and fun.
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 4:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2009